• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Interior Lighting - LED's?

TRSmith99

Loc.
Oakland
I've been wanting to add some interior lighting to my bronco. I am thinking this will be for two primary functions.

1. General lighting at night/aka: Courtesy lights
2. A map/dome light

For Item #1, I am thinking I'd have to add a door switch and then tap into the headlight switch (or a similar wire). I am not looking to make the inside of the bronco into a disco - just 4-6 lights (probably under the dash or under the seats) for visibility.

For item #2, I am thinking about taking the drummel tool to my wiper motor cover and "flush mounting" a map/dome light.

I see LED kits available for (brace yourself) for under $10. Add in the door switch, and I would think I could do it for $15.

The dome light - not quite sure on this one yet. Could rob something from the local scrap yard, or might figure out a way to do an LED there too.

Has anyone else done this?

What are your thoughts/concerns about doing the above?

Thanks!

TR-

PolarrrBearrr

Loc.
P.R. of NJ
My '76 also had a light in the wiper cover, and one of the previous owners put in dome lights from (I'm guessing) and mid 80's or earlier Ford over the center of the front seats, and mounted in the rear.

Since I don't plan on using the hardtop all that often, I'm thinking along the same lines you are, placing in lighting elsewhere, but I'm also considering roadster inserts.

I was thinking since (if you do use a softop) that you wouldn't have the wiper cover, placing lights facing down under the dash, and then possibly somwhere in the back cargo area too.

As for a map light, I was thinking maybe something on an arm that was small, almost like a book light. I think your idea would work fine, but if you don't use your hardtop, you won't have the wiper cover.

Just a thought.

Hank Dodge

My '73 has a light in the wiper cover and one under the center of the dash that came stock. I added one that has a switch incorporated in it to the center support on my hard top. I tied that one into the same power lead off the headlight switch. The Bronco is so small and the headlight switch can be reached from either side of the vehicle that I just turn them on when I need them. It really works out well. I like being able to just use the stock lighting when I don't need to flood the whole interior with light. That one I added to the hard top is very bright and lights everything inside up really well when it's needed.

biggercb

I had a ski boat that i needed some interior light in. I went down to the local parts store and picked up some of those running lights you see on the side of semi trailers. Mounted one under the dash and you could see everything in the cabin. Had a nice little glo for floating around the lake at night and didnt seem to sap too much power.

broncaholic

I made some rear quarterpanels and installed a light in each one, forward of the rear seat. Ran it to my light/dimmer switch and works great. Picked them up at Pep Boys.

bajabronc

Loc.
West Hollywood
Pics of the lights - they are super bright!

36312868.jpg

25250462.jpg

jpopsbronco

Loc.
Irvine, CA
I went to my local Marvac (radioshack will work) and picked up 2 led pad lights (they have about 16-24 leds in them and they come in a bunch of different sizes). I put one in the front of my cage facing back towards the back of the car and one all the way on the back bar facing the front.. They are REALLY bright... they are perfect for what i need them for because they provide the perfect amount of light for me, but if i was looking for more of a map light i would DEFINATLY put something bright under the dash(out of eyesight) because its really nice being able to see everything in the bronco. Iono.. just my 2 cents

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
if you dont have doors, get an alarm that controls the dome light. That way as your approaching the Bronco just disarm it and the lights will stay on until you turn the key.

Crutchfield's alarms work really well and aren't too expensive.

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My '76 also had a light in the wiper cover, and one of the previous owners put in dome lights from (I'm guessing) and mid 80's or earlier Ford over the center of the front seats, and mounted in the rear.

Since I don't plan on using the hardtop all that often, I'm thinking along the same lines you are, placing in lighting elsewhere, but I'm also considering roadster inserts.

I was thinking since (if you do use a softop) that you wouldn't have the wiper cover, placing lights facing down under the dash, and then possibly somwhere in the back cargo area too.

As for a map light, I was thinking maybe something on an arm that was small, almost like a book light. I think your idea would work fine, but if you don't use your hardtop, you won't have the wiper cover.

Just a thought.

When I ran a soft top on my old '76, I just trimmed the top of the wiper cover down to fit snug under the soft top (without touching) using a dremel and a file. That way I still had the cover as well as the light. I never had a problem with it even when caught in the rain.

kaw550

Bronco Guru
I picked up a rear view mirror with a map light built in. It helps but you couldnt find anything on the floor with it.