• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Introduction and some questions

vexris

Hello all,
Last month I bought a new 04 mustang and gave my sister my old 89ford 4x4 ranger. I use to work on vehicle with my father a lot usually his 56 Chevy we were restoring and my 1977 Chevy pick up when fixing it up but it was usually he told me what to do and I do it.
Well since I got my 04 mustang I want to get and older bronco 66 to 70 something and start rebuilding it I’m saving about 200 dollars a month to put towards this fund I know that is not a lot but its better then nothing at all.
I’m looking from some advice from the more experienced bronco owners out there, I want to do most of the restoration my self on the bronco in the back yard and that wont have to hurry on it because I got a daily driver car. Right now I’m building up a workshop with tools for the project then I will move on to finding me my little bronco what I would like is some advice when I go to look for one what some things I should look for basically all the bronco has to do is make it home to the shop for I can start working on it.

Thanks for any advice.
vexris

MATT76

Restos on Broncos are pretty easy, especially with the number of early Bronco parts vendors around today. It was quite a bit different when I had my first bronco - it was either find a part at a junkyard or mod something from another vehicle.

The things that I would look for first are a good tub/frame that isn't rusted out and an electrical system that hasn't been hacked up by the PO. IMO electrical gremlins and a bad tub are the most work intensive jobs. Building a new engine and suspension is the fun part.

You can find the specs/options on the various model years on this forum. I prefer the 76-77 due to the power steering and power disk brakes (front) that were available on those model years. But you could even add those to an earlier model, so any year would be fine.

Welcome and good luck!

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
I'll second Matt's statement about the rust. Floorboards aren't bad, but if the kick panels, strikers, etc... are in bad shape it's PIA to get new metal in there and do it well. I've seen several trucks that the PO didn't do a very good job and the door opening dimensions were significantly different from one side of the Bronco to the other.

2nd, I'd say figure out how you want yours equipped and try and get those parts already on it, as long as they're reasonably priced. It'll save time and work down the road.
Joe

66horse

Bronco Guru
ya the advice above. Rust is big thing to look for. I would also try to find one with a v8. The conversion from a 6 to an 8 is pretty easy but why do the extra project. Also, like Joe said figure out what you ultimatly want and compare what a bronco has to what it takes to get there when you are shopping. That is a good way to find what a Bronco is worth (to you).