• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is a 1976 F250 D44 a good axle?

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
I am thinking of going full width and was looking at axles. I found a 1976 F250 D44. It has ball joints and open knuckles. I don't need c's because I want to build custom arms. I know the f250 axle has 8 lugs, but I was wondering if the knuckles could be swapped out for F150 5 lug knuckles?
I think it is low pinion though. How much better is the high pinion?
Its cheap, only $200, but would it be worth it?

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
1976 will be a low pinion front axle if it has the big giant locking hubs.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I think there are better options out there. while it will work as you said its a low pinion which has its drawbacks in a front axle bascially the low pinion means it drives on the coast side oof the gear which is the weaker side plus the low pinion doesnt help driveshaft angles any. The hi pinion was designed so the the gears worked on the strongest side while driving. Not real sure in actual strenght differance tho.
On the flip side Im pretty sure you can swap on 1/2ton spindles backing plates and rotors on to the F250 axle and get your 5 lug pattern back again. Also I thinik the F250 D44 is a little wider than a F150 D44 so rear axle choice may be a little fuzzy.
Overall I dont think its really worth the money I'd want a hi pinion axle in any case.

OP
OP
Desert Thrasher

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
Yeah I thought as much. I will keep looking. Theres a few 78-79 d44s on craigslist but I dont want to use the stock C wedges so they won't do.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
78 and up F-250 will have the high-pinion 44.