• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is it okay to use all new lifters on a used cam?

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX
Cam is in a 302 and is in good shape. Wear pattern is acceptable... I know that it is unadvised to use the same lifters on a new cam, but what about new lifters on a used cam (if it is still in shape)?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
you can use old lifters but they need to stay on the same lobe they cam off . Using new lifters on a old cam is fine as well just lube up and break in like a new cam. I've done it several times and have yet to have a failure.

OP
OP
hollowch

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX
you can use old lifters but they need to stay on the same lobe they cam off . Using new lifters on a old cam is fine as well just lube up and break in like a new cam. I've done it several times and have yet to have a failure.

Awesome thank you for that. What are the break in protocol for an engine with new lifters? Just apply the engine assembly lube with Moly grease to each set on top, bottom and sides?

70_Steve

Old Guy
I just did this not too long ago, but my cam wasn't that old, maybe 1K miles.

I used assy lube and breakin oil. Then ran the engine for 20 minutes at 2K rpm.

I've put 2K miles on it since, and no problems.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
Make sure you use PLENTY of assembly lube and real break in oil (don't buy any crap in an auto parts store....get it from Comp Cams or some other cam grinder).