• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is this a decent deal?

Dawg_enD

At a junkyard yesterday I asked about their availability of Explorer 5.0's. "What I'd really like," I said, "is to buy one with all the stuff still attached. Motor, tranny, alternator, water pump, etc. The only thing I don't need are the computer and the distributor."

He had one, a 97 with 67k miles. He'd drop it in a pickup bed for me with the stock wiring for 2k.

Is that a decent deal?

Thanks for the info in advance!

-Dawg

Tgure

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix
Sounds high to me for a junk yard setup. But then again I haven't been looking around for a setup like that. I would say $1500 would be a good deal and $1000 a great deal.

Just my 2cp ;D

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
It all depends on region and availability. That one seems to have low miles. So, it may very well be a good deal. I'm not one for buying junk yard louie w/o planning on rebuilding it anyways.

Good luck with it.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
I found some on the net for $300-900 for complete engines, no trans.

OP
OP
D

Dawg_enD

Oh? When you say complete, are you including alternators, air conditioning, water pump, etc etc?

If so, I'd not mind looking at them.

My plan is to swap completely over. My PS pump, though replaced, is crap. The alternator is crap, I don't have A/C, though I may soon... It just makes sense to me to use all the newer stuff. Heck, then I can even keep the Serpentine setup.

Anyway... to steal a phrase from some online friends....

link prz?

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
I'll have to see if I still have the lists. Somehow I found a link that took your info and then all these yards sent me quotes on what they had.

OP
OP
D

Dawg_enD

I checked that site. The problem with it is that you get an Engine, that's it. Then I have to find an Alternator. Does it come with the brackets and pulleys? Then a PS pump, then a tranny, then .... then ..... I think you get the picture. This other deal, and any other ones I find, are a complete deal with all stuff attached. Car parts is just way too time consuming.

I should mention, though... looking at that site for a tranny for my other car is what got me to the yard I spoke with in the first place. :p

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
I used car-part.com, it came back w/ a list of what they had and then you could call them and work out what was included and a price.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
Dawg_enD said:
I checked that site. The problem with it is that you get an Engine, that's it. Then I have to find an Alternator. Does it come with the brackets and pulleys? Then a PS pump, then a tranny, then .... then ..... I think you get the picture. This other deal, and any other ones I find, are a complete deal with all stuff attached. Car parts is just way too time consuming.

I should mention, though... looking at that site for a tranny for my other car is what got me to the yard I spoke with in the first place. :p
woah Dawg, that is way too much, it is good if you don't want to do the work yourself. the pick npull there by McCord would give it all to ya for no more than600. contact Seabiscuit and ask him to watch for one that you would want and we'll run down there and yank and pull it all . have hoist will travel, chit I even have access to a battery powered Sawsall.I kid you not!
:eek:

OP
OP
D

Dawg_enD

Really? Okey, I'm getting so close I can taste it.. I'll let him know when it's time.

On a side note... I don't thikn I have his phone number anymore, and I haven't heard back from my pm to him requesting it! Can you have him give me a call, or pm?

Thanks!

-Dawg

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
If I pulled it, it would cost $400.-$500. here at the local yard. Probably get the rear discs set up throw in with the deal. They have a forklift that I could use.

I had planned on doing it but last month the yard caught on fire and burned all the wrecks. They also had a few Astro hydroboost set ups I had my eye on......