• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

James Duff 3 speed binding

Bjones

Loc.
Ionia,Mi
I have searched and can't seem to find what I need, although I'm sure it's here. I have a '69 with the Duff floor shifter. When I try to shift from 1-2,3 the shifter binds and I feel like it's hitting a wall. After a bunch of messing around I can get it to go, but it's impossible to drive this way. I needed this thing on the road a month ago. I followed the assembly instructions and it appears to be correct, for some reason pulling it out of first it doesn't find N and that stops it from hitting 2nd. Here are a couple pics, does it look right? Do you have any ideas what I can try, to fix it?
fd238e127fef1e278e0203f676ceabac.jpg
f03bfa85aa961667c44c813e4d2f35bf.jpg

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Sounds like you need to adjust you linkage. There is an interlock in the transmission that prevents engaging more than one gear. You have to adjust the shifter linkage to align the trans interlock with the neutral and throw of the shifter. It is easy to do. Will see if I can find a link for you.

OP
OP
Bjones

Bjones

Loc.
Ionia,Mi
Thanks for the reply. I have adjusted and readjusted the linkage and still can't get it to work right. I have the trans in N and the shifter set in N, with a bit in the holes to hold it there, I adjust the linkage and it's still binding

OP
OP
Bjones

Bjones

Loc.
Ionia,Mi
Am I missing something simple and making this harder than it should be? I thought it was pretty straight fwd

Fairlane514

Loc.
Houston
I think you need to move the rods ends to the other side of the shifter loops.
In other words the retaining clips would be towards the driver. This is based on your second picture

OP
OP
Bjones

Bjones

Loc.
Ionia,Mi
I wondered if that was the case too. Looking at the illustration in the instructions, it looks like they're suppose like I have them. I sent those pics to someone at Duff's and haven't gotten a response, that was last Saturday. I will give it a try as soon as I get time to mess with it.

OP
OP
Bjones

Bjones

Loc.
Ionia,Mi
Good deal. Like I said, I will try it as soon as I get time. That may not be until Sunday though. I'm gonna try adjusting the linkage again too. Thanks for your suggestions, both of you

01Dudley

Loc.
Knoxville
Here are pictures off our display chassis. I am sorry no one got back to you. We have had a most of the sales team out sick and if I talked to you about it I'm sorry i dropped the ball. Hopefully this helps

OP
OP
Bjones

Bjones

Loc.
Ionia,Mi
Ok I tried to adjust it again, drill bit inserted in the center to keep the shifter in N, with the trans. This is what it keeps doing.

Fairlane514

Loc.
Houston
To me it looks more transmission related than shifter.

I think I would start at the transmission "ears" or tabs and make sure they are solidly in neutral. Then check your neutral position at the shifter. Adjust the rods so they slide easily into the bushings and shifter loops, while its in neutral.

Im pretty sure you stated you have already done this many times. If so, then I would say your shifter appears to be flexing a lot. The flexing may be your problem.

Also, if one of the transmission tabs isn't exactly in neutral the other tab or slider (inside the transmission) won't move. This appears to be occurring in the video.

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
Looking at your video it looks like you may have the outside rod ( 2-3) wrong look at the Duff picture above shows the rods at the shifter straight and parallel with each other . I did this same kit about 2 mo ago, I had a few wrench banging moments but after I put the rods in the right way it worked perfect. PM if have any questions. I would bet the outside rod needs to be flipped. Also is the brace bolted to the back of the "T" case ? It looks like it's moving a lot

OP
OP
Bjones

Bjones

Loc.
Ionia,Mi
Before the video, I had the rod the other way, flipped end for end. I can't match the exact position of the Duff pic because the trans is actually installed in the bronco. In order for the rod to be in that position, I would need a body lift to clear the tunnel support. I also made sure the shift tabs are in N and there isn't any play in them

OP
OP
Bjones

Bjones

Loc.
Ionia,Mi
I also took the shifter apart tonight and greased it all again, hoping that would help. Switching the rod end for end, greasing and adjusting the rods again, nothing has changed. The way it catches in the video, is the way it worked before and after, everything I did

OP
OP
Bjones

Bjones

Loc.
Ionia,Mi
Also, if one of the transmission tabs isn't exactly in neutral the other tab or slider (inside the transmission) won't move. This appears to be occurring in the video.

That's what is happening, only the shifter seems to be preventing it from going from 1st to N and that won't let it shift to 2nd. I can lay underneath and do it by hand consistently, it only works 1 in 10 times setting in the seat and shifting.

OP
OP
Bjones

Bjones

Loc.
Ionia,Mi
Anyone want to trade even up for an automatic with everything included for the swap? I would do it in a minute. The clutch and pressure plate are all new, as well