• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

JBG Liftgate Stainless Hinges Install??

csmith441

Loc.
Edmond, OK
Who has used these and how did you mount the hinge to the liftgate?

Self tapping screws???

I'm curious about the liftgate metal (frame) with screwing a couple holes then using self tapping screws.

Basically I'm worried there wouldn't be very many threads holding the liftgate to the hinges.

Thanks

Chris

Vincen

Contributor
I ground off the remnants of the old rusty hinges and installed 1/4-20 Nutserts. Then I installed them with stainless 1/4-20 x 1 inch screws. The old hinge appeared to be welded in place so some of the metal tore away while removing them.

1971BroncoSport

Ditto on the nutserts.

Turn the top upside down to work on it. That way you can get the hinge lined up on both the top and the lift gate. You can clamp the hinge in place to line it up and mark for holes.

Also easier if the glass is out of lift gate.

Vincen

Contributor
I had the top installed on my truck that had no liftgate at purchase. It took some time to keep gaps and fit up consistent. I agree with 71broncosport, it would be much easier with the top off or with a couple helpers. I did it by myself this past January in Ohio so my experience may be somewhat different than yours.

OP
OP
C

csmith441

Loc.
Edmond, OK
Thanks Guys....

My top is on and I don't really want to take it off right now.

I was hoping there was a good way to do it with the top still on, but it does make more sense to remove it and replace them. I'm thinking the helper route would be much easier.

My thought was to initially pull the liftgate with the old hinges still intact, then center punch the existing hole (of the upper hinge) and drill through the original hinge (bottom attached to the liftgate) leaving a pilot hole for drilling to insert the nutsert then attach the new hinge. The holes line up on the Stainless hinges so that should keep everything in line. In my mind in works, but in reality things change.

Thanks

Last edited: