• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

John Deere (PN:AM131898) Cup Holder - Review

W650Mike

Loc.
Eastland, Texas
First of all I’d like to thank each and every one of my sponsors for giving me the opportunity to be the first to test and report on this very remarkable product.

The Problem: My beloved Bronco is a coffee spill’n sum-bitch. Set a cup on the floor; spilt. Set a cup on the passenger seat; spilt. Hold a cup between the legs – no way.

The Search: Aside from mounting some big-ass console with built in cup holders I just wasn’t very impressed with what I was finding.

The Epiphany: Whilst visiting the local JD dealer for a couple of oil filters, I ended up buying a lawn mower. The sales guy told me I could pick out a cap or something of similar value. Mighty generous if you consider the price tag on these grass cutters. So I got myself a cap…but I spied these most excellent cup holders and a light started glowing somewhat dimly in my head. Not being an impulse prone buyer, I waited nearly two weeks before the flicker became a full glow. The solution to the lack of a cup holder was at hand. I waited until gas prices went up and then drove the mere 50 miles back to the dealer to take possession of the answer to my prayers.

The Review:

Packaging: The box opens from the side – of all places. That in itself proved a bit difficult after only a few beers. By the time I got in, I was spent, thirsty, and the sun was setting.

Quality: High strength black plastic – Made in the USA. (Actually I added the high strength part – it feels like regular black plastic.)

Installation: Installation proved to be a bitch with short fingernails and without my reading glasses. Just try peeling double faced tape with blunt nubs and blurred vision.

Performance: The three spring retainers are well balance for rate and vessel retention. Their wide surfaces neither crushed nor punctured the test cup – a good thing when dealing with hot beverages in Styrofoam cups. Stability is unparalleled. Two railroad tracks on the way to work; not a drop on the floor.

Conclusion: I highly recommend this system. I give it 4 out of 5 stars. One star is lost due to packaging incomprehension. (I swear it looks like the box should open from the top.)

Thanks again to my sponsors,

Mike:)

Attachments

• camera 006.jpg
    camera 006.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 133
  • camera 009.jpg
    camera 009.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 149
  • camera 011.jpg
    camera 011.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 157
  • camera 013.jpg
    camera 013.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 146

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
them look pretty good. that was some expressive oil filters though;D

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Poor guy looks kinda lonely there on the floor all by himself.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
I kind of agree, it does look all alone on the floor like that.

Hmm.. maybe it needs a friend, like a big maglite, or a fire extinguisher, or speaker box, or an aux-heater, or 12v-110 power converter, or CB, or CB speaker, or a 12v aux power plug, or an ammo can, or a can of random Bronco fasteners, or a even a stack of blue paper towels from a gas station. . . well yep, it does looks lonely.
Good review.
:cool:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Ain't big enough for my monster cup, but I like the idea.. ;)

ghost66

Bronco Guru
The only problem I see with this review is how does it work under pressure while you are reaching down to disloge the cup and your Bronco or any Bronco with steering wander and a mind of it's own decides that the lane you are currently in is no longer the one of choice, will you quickly dart your wheels back to the correct lane thus drenching yourself in aformentioned coffee or will you realizing that you're facing oncoming traffic drop the cup and allow the spill. I find the only soultion to a non spill cupholder is not to drink in the Bronco ever or to only drink when fully stopped. If you are from California then eventually cupholders will be outlawed as they will either pollute the air being made from plastic that let off phthalates, dillute the attention where it should be as in "on the road" leading to higher insurance rates, or if they continue to remain an accessory they will be taxed as heartliy everything else.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
...I find the only soultion to a non spill cupholder is not to drink in the Bronco ever or to only drink when fully stopped...

Amen to that brother, although I have near-perfected the technique of drinking in a Bronco while in mothion. The key is to lean forward so your back is not touching the seat which gives you a little more flex for bumps in the road. Of course you have to wait for smooth patches of pavement to attempt this daring deed. ;D

broncokak

Bronco Guru
Hmmmm, I have one of those on my John Deere and they do work nice. They grip really well and sometime will even crush a whippy cup. I may have to go price some out.