• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Johnny Joints or Heim

ajonesny

I picked up some extended radius arms (Duff or Cage arms) but it didn't come with the heim joints or frame brackets. I was looking online a found universal weld-on frame bracket and some johnny joints. The frame bracket and johnny joint both accept a 9/16" bolt. Googling around, I was able to find the directions for the Duff radius arms and they call for 1" bolt with their heim joint. Would I regret installing Johnny joints with a 9/16" grade 8 bolt? If so, what size Johnny Joint do I need? I know I could always order new parts from Duff but i've heard a lot of good things about the JJ, i thought I would give them a try,

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
IMO, I would get replacement heim and bracket from Duff. I won't want to test out the strength of a 9/16" bolt. If you really want to run JJ, ballistic fab sells the 3" joint w/ 3/4" bolt. Just be aware ballistic had a trouble past and is on a rebuild stage.

Eugene

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
Sometimes bigger is better! I'm about to switch to a Johnny Joint on my WCB arms, but they don't have as big a thru bolt as the Duff arms do. Nice thing is at this point, since you don't have the joints or frame brackets, you have the option to pick and choose.

Keep this in mind, you see 4 link sets and such on the street and on the trail every day, don't think I've ever seen a 9/16" bolt shear. Same for competition, I've seen more links bend and heims break than bolts break. Factory 4 link on a J**p uses a 14mm bolt on the front and rear links from the factory, reuses the same hardware when they put heavier suspension links on after a lift. 14mm is smaller than 9/16", still never seen one break.

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
Go to jonny joints, greasable, rebuildable and much more adjustment. I swaped mine out back when I had radius arms. Used the cage brackets with step down spacer from Ballistic originally. The universal frame brackets from poly and others will work good with a 9/16 bolt hole

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
9/16 grade 8 bolts are way strong, my truck suspension has all 9/16 grade 8- I have never busted one- ever. But still, everyone has their comfort level.

t120r

I used Johnny Joints for my trac bar. Smoother than that the bushings it replaced as there is no bind. Made such a difference that I am going to make my adjustable radius arms with em.