• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Kentrol Fiberglass Body mounting rubber vs real rubber mounts vs urethane mounts

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I am going to purchase a new kentrol fiberglass body tub. They sell mounting rubber but it looks like a square chunk of rubber that id have to cut into pieces. Kinda strange!

Question 1----has anybody used this rubber chunk or did you just use new rubber body mounts?

Question 2----i need a 1" body lift to clear some things such as front hoops. I been looking at the WH urethane bushings with built in 1" lift. Should i use the urathane mounts or get rubber mounts and 1" blocks?

If this is confusing just ask some questions? Sorry!

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
I have a Kentrol body and used the WH body mounts.
Just make sure the puck goes to the edge of the support channel on the body. I think I had to reuse some of the stock body washers to get them to the edge. No problems here for the last 4-5 years.

IFLYHOOKS

Loc.
Clarksville
I am purchasing a Bronco Design fiberglass tub and will take delivery in Feb. Mike, the owner, has a friend who is designing an all polyurethane bushing for that tub. It will use two different density's and a 1/2" bolt. In my case, the upper bushing will be 2" long giving me about 1.75" of lift. I don't know what the cost will be yet, but just eliminating the corrosion problem and softening the ride a hair will be worth it.

Scott

chipk

I have seen several guys use hockey pucks. One on the bottom and one on the top of the frame mount. Drill holes and use washers. The puck fits right in the underside of of the frame mount and locks the body in place.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
IMO - Look at Bronco Design

I am going to purchase a new kentrol fiberglass body tub. They sell mounting rubber but it looks like a square chunk of rubber that id have to cut into pieces. Kinda strange!

Question 1----has anybody used this rubber chunk or did you just use new rubber body mounts?

Question 2----i need a 1" body lift to clear some things such as front hoops. I been looking at the WH urethane bushings with built in 1" lift. Should i use the urathane mounts or get rubber mounts and 1" blocks?

If this is confusing just ask some questions? Sorry!

I have an older Kentrol tub and I have fitment issues. I did not use the square chunk but I did use the body mount kit from Jeff's. I would suggest reaching out to Mike at Bronco Design (http://www.broncodesign.com) he has a great tub and he is more than willing to help you with the install.

Jason

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I have looked at his tubs before and i am not going the stock body route. I want the large molded-in flares, front and rear.

And as for the pucks......i too have seen this, and have also seen lift blocks stacked up in front ends of leef spring vehicles. IF ITS WORTH DOEN, ITS WORTH DOEN RIGHT!

IFLYHOOKS

Loc.
Clarksville
I have looked at his tubs before and i am not going the stock body route. I want the large molded-in flares, front and rear.

And as for the pucks......i too have seen this, and have also seen lift blocks stacked up in front ends of leef spring vehicles. IF ITS WORTH DOEN, ITS WORTH DOEN RIGHT!

As suggested you might want to give Mike at Bronco Design a call. My tub is #8 and he is in the process of molding front fender flares on the rear for me. In all seriousness, you do not want to put something as hard as a hockey puck ( I know you aren't, just an example) between your frame and a very stiff fiberglass tub. The polyurethane bushings I referred to in my earlier post use 65A (upper/lower) and 85A (inner) by using this combination, it allows the bushing to flex rather than imparting all the load directly to the tub.

glass76

I've had Duffs urethane body mounts under my Kentroll tub since 1999 with no problems.

RJtucson

weird body mount

Hi, not sure if it is the same as mine but on my CJ5 with a fiberglass body it uses big square rubber mounts instead of the regular looking round ones. I think it is supposed to spread out the force on the body. That might be what they are trying to get you to use too.

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Welcome RJtucson! Thanks for making this your first post! Ya sounds like its similar to what they are saying to use. Can you email me a pic of how they used these rubber blocks. (bknbronco@msn.com) I assume they used it between the frame and body but what did they use under the frame (another square chunk or a factory round mount)? What did they use for washers?

Im almost certain im going with the wild horses urethane mounts with the 1" body lift built in, but am still curious as to how they use this square body mount rubber.

72pabronco

Mike at broncodesign is a great guy. I got tub #4 thats at the paint shop and am waiting for photos. I'm going with the 1 inch urethane from WH to gain space for latter trans swap.