• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Kentrol Fiberglass Tub Questions

cal

Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I've reached the decision phase on whether to fix the rusty body or go glass. To those who have installed the Kentrol tub, I have a couple questions.<br><br>1. I know the glass tub weighs less than the steel body, but is it significantly lighter? I'm concerned because these trucks are already light, and the lighter it gets the bumpier the ride.<br><br>2. What kind of structural integrity can I expect? Once again, I know it won't be as strong as steel, but can it take an impact (the kind that's delivered by another vehicle)? Will it be able to handle the stress of a rollover (concerned about the roll bar breaking thru)? <br><br>3. Can I re-use my doors and tailgate?

BroncoT

Loc.
Milford, CT
I can't really comment on the first one, I have no idea what the weight difference actually is, but some folks on the bronco mail lists have said there is not a significant difference between glass and steel tubs.<br>I was advised to use a backing plate to reinforce seat, seat belt and roll cage mounting points to prevent them from pulling through, but I'd assume you'd want to do the same with steel.<br>Yes, you can reuse your tailgate and doors, mine are stock steel, as is the grille. You should be able to use any steel bits you want, I'd prefer less to avoid rust.<br>HTH

OP
OP
C

cal

Loc.
Raleigh, NC
Thanks for the replies. A couple more questions...<br><br>1. What kind of coating does the underside require, if any? I've read a lot of good things about POR-15. Would it make sense to coat the entire underside?<br><br>2. Where can I get the steel to reinforce the body?<br><br>Any other comments on my initial questions are also appreciated.

luvmybronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ashland, Oh
[quote author=zeusakira link=board=5;threadid=13972;start=0#105025 date=1044360433]<br>I believe the tub from Kentrol weighs close to 500 lbs.I have no idea what steel weighs.<br>[/quote]<br><br> The tub itself is, actually only weighs about 250 lbs...(I think your talking about shipping weight with a crate)...Two people can lift it easily, but will be hard to control it...My Mom helped me lift mine, and we had no problems...They are quite a bit lighter, and the heavier suspension, the bouncier ride...The are very strong though...In the colder weather, it seems they would crack upon impact, but flex a little in the summer.....<br> I know of a few people that used there old steel doors with the fiberglass tubs, but can't comment on how well they hold up over a long period of time...As far as undercoating, I used a roll-on bedliner...<br> Just remember, there are pro's, and cons for Fiberglass...The pro's will be, they'll never rust, they are very strong, and light. Easy to repair if you know how to work fiberglass...<br> The cons: Most people don't like fiberglass, so the resale might not be worth it...Although it may be strong, it'll never be stronger than steel...And they are very expensive....

josehpatrickgray

Loc.
Coatesville, Pennsylvania
I am almost finished putting together my Kentrol fiberglass body. If I could do it over I would have stayed with the steel body. It takes ALOT of work to get everything to fit well. Since taking on this progect I have learned how to weld. I think you could fix just about any rust bucket easier and cheaper than going with the Kentol body assuming you do the welding yourself. <br><br>Joe

KST1

I agree with what Luvmybronco and BroncoT said above. I also agree with josehpatrickgray about the amount of work. However, when your done with the glass, you never have to fix a rust patch again. There is a fair amount of satisfaction in that alone. I think you will find the Kentrol fiberglass tub to be very well built and re-enforced in all the right places. I have been using mine to travel, haul, pull, cruise, and anything else I want for a couple years now and remain impressed with the durability. I have been on dunes and trails (no real rocks) with no problems, but I am careful to stay away from trees and such (to much time and $$ invested now). I haven't noticed any stress cracks. I used Herculiner for an undercoating to protect from rock chips and such.<br><br>Sorry for the long post, if you have any other questions, let me know. dfultz@scs.uiuc.edu<br><br>-D