• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

kickdown rod - modify motorcraft manuel carb

boss

Loc.
Pittsburgh
Has any one modified a motorcraft carb. form a manual transmission to accept the kick down rod after a swap to a C-4? I have the rod and the PO changed the transmission and also at some time recently installed a re-built carb which runs great so I would like to continue to use it. Any help or pictures would be appreciated.

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Not totally sure on the Motorcraft, but on a Holley you have to change out the shaft running through the butterfly plates. The kick down linkage is assembled to the throttle cable linkage side. You may have to get the whole shaft assembly from an AT, I'm not sure if there is enough room on your current shaft to add it... but maybe.

Others will chime in and confirm or offer you a plan.

DJs74

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The throttle shaft is either made for manual transmissions thus having no kick down lever or they were made for automatics and have a kick down lever. Saying a carburetor is a Motorcraft can mean many things. It could be a 2100 or 2150 if it's an EB part, or one of several other carburetors used in other Fords or AMCs. In 1972 Ford started casting Motorcraft on 2100s after Autolite had the courts order Ford to stop using the trade mark. The important distinction is the change in 1975 to the 2150 model that has a different throttle shaft. Some 2100s with manual chokes have a shorter throttle shafts and won't convert to automatic chokes. A picture of your carb from different perspectives would help a lot, plus any numbers and letters stamped on the aluminum tag or the front left foot.