• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Kids & carseats

BRONKEN

Loc.
Morgan Hill, Ca
I will be taking my 5yr old on the rubicon this summer and was wondering what would be the best seat set-up would be? What have others used? or fabbed up. The single lap belt & car seat just does not work to well.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
at 5 I'm guessing he's out of the car or booster seat. My 5 yr old daughter has an eddie bauer booster seat that has the upper loops molded in the plastic instead of sewn to the cover. I run the diest buggie harnesses thru them. Otherwise get a 4pt harness to hold him in the seat. Remember it's low spead. It just has to keep him from falling out.

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Answer

I used to be an Air Force Safety Troop and was certified as a Child Passenger Safety Technician. A few states have updated their child passenger safety laws to require booster seats for children 6 years of age and up to 60 pounds. I would contact your local health district and see if they have certified technicians available to provide some advice. A 5 year old would most likely require a belt positioning booster seat, which cannot be used with a lap belt only configuration. I am not aware of a booster seat with an internal harness for use with belt only seatbelts. You might also try checking out the National Safekids website or just type child passenger safety into your search engine for advice. I hope this helps a little.

OP
OP
BRONKEN

BRONKEN

Loc.
Morgan Hill, Ca
Thanks for the reply's. We still have him in a car seat I was just curious if anybody was doing something a little extra for 4-wheeling. So far it's been a PITA to install the carseat (safely) with just the stock lap belt.

rayc

Loc.
Western Oregon
Two words...DUCT TAPE;D

Actually, Oregon just revised it's car seat laws regarding children that are required to be in boosters (not full seats).

The law was changed to allow children to wear just the lap belt if there is no shoulder belt. I believe this was do to the fact that the booster is designed to elevate a child to the point that the shoulder strap fits them properly. Obviously, that is not needed with just a lap belt.

You may talk to your local police to find out if California has a similar law. In my experience, a booster seat with just a lap belt just makes it less secure.

Awnrie69

Loc.
Salem, Or
My daughter is 4 1/2 and I still use a full size carseat with the harness with her. Her carseat has a strap or teather in the back that I hook to the floor or the bottom of the seat from behind and I can tighten it that way. It holds a lot better that way.

mcbmg95

Loc.
Pax River, MD
I have a 3 year old and use a booster seat for him, I strap the car seat down with the shoulder belt and then have a tension contraption that ratchets it tight. The booster seat has a 5-point harness and it works great. I have never had a problem especially with the ratchet thing-ma-bob on it. We picked it up at Babies-R-Us or something like that. Hopes this helps.

Michael

OP
OP
BRONKEN

BRONKEN

Loc.
Morgan Hill, Ca
A friend is supposed to be getting married on the trail July 11. I might also go on the Jeepers Jamboree which is July 22-24. Other than those dates it's wide open. Perhaps some of us here can get a trip together.