• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Later model Ford aluminum case toploader overdrive 4-speed conversion

scorpio007

Loc.
Dana Point CA.
Just wondering if anyone has done this conversion I bought the advanced adapter kit( which I belive is still available from A.A) from a guy that had a ad in the paper. The toploader overdrive is pretty much the same size as a stock bronco three speed except the output bearing is larger and the case is aluminum. This seemed like a pretty good swap since you would get a larger output bearing, loose some weight from the case, plus you get a lower 1st gear and a 20% overdriven fourth to get you to the stomping grounds. I ended up with the conversion kit and an extra adapter housing from the guy in the paper for around a hundred bucks.(the extra housing will come in handy because it must be machined to fit the larger bearing, and there will be no down time between swaps.) I picked up the trans from a junkyard for fifty bucks, poped the cover and it looked fresh but I will probably clean it up and put a bearing kit in it since it has to come apart any way to install the new mainshaft. I have not yet finished the swap since I need to have the housing machined and buy a new four speed shifter and bearing kit. I was wondering if anyone else has seen, done, or heard anything about this conversion I am curious how it works. Any feedback would be great.
Thank's in advance
SCORPIO :cool:

Last edited:

grauerfam

Loc.
Owings Mills,MD
4 spod

I have the later ( mid 80's) version of this trans with the shifter coming up out of the top like a np435. From what I've heard the side mounted shifter is a pain to set up and keep functioning properly. Also adds a couple extra hundred bucks to the conversion by the time you buy a Hurst shifter and bracketry. I had a side shifter but decided to wait and find a top shifter. I have'nt run it yet but have talked to a handful of guys that have and all seem pleased with them. Like you said, it's pretty much like a 3sp with an OD 4th. I'm going to run mine with 4.56 gears and 33" tires and hope it drives like a wide ratio 4 sp. Keep in mind that it's one inch longer than the 3sp. I'm also going with the Terra-low 3.15 transfer case gears so it should perform well overall. Good luck and post your results/ driving impressions.

cbfomoco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WV
i have been wondering about thies i foudn two in the boneyard 100 bucks a pop so lets see some more info you might sway me from a zf. Can any one post a pic of them the top shifter oes i want to make shure i am wright thanks

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
I have a close ratio TL (cast) with side shifter (Hurst). It's way fast shifting. It did take some time to get the shift rods bend perfectly, but after that, it's been no hassle at all. Good luck, you'll like it

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
There are 2 toploader 4 speed ODs. The lighter duty one has a bushings in the cluster {Grenadas mostly} and the heavier duty one used in vans has needle bearings. This is important because in OD it drives thru the cluster gear to get the overdrive ratio of approx .80. Its direct drive in third gear 1-1. Im not familiar with the integeral shifter ones but wouldnt the shifter be pretty far back with them? Just asking.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Here is mine..................
4 speed Top-loader (wide ratio) with AA output shaft
attachment.php

It is going behind this........351C 4V with custom fenderwell headers
attachment.php

OP
OP
S

scorpio007

Loc.
Dana Point CA.
I don't want a gernade.

mtkawboy said:
There are 2 toploader 4 speed ODs. The lighter duty one has a bushings in the cluster {Grenadas mostly} and the heavier duty one used in vans has needle bearings. This is important because in OD it drives thru the cluster gear to get the overdrive ratio of approx .80. Its direct drive in third gear 1-1. Im not familiar with the integeral shifter ones but wouldnt the shifter be pretty far back with them? Just asking.

I think I remember reading about the trans you want is the one that comes out of trucks and vans. I am pretty sure I checked the code to make sure I got the heavy duty unit. However I di purchase it some time ago. As for your question on the integral shifter I do belive that you would have to do some floor pan modification to make that work. I already have a duff three speed floor shifter and I belive switching to the four speed will involve little or no mods to make it work. But if you starting with a column shift, then a integral shifter might be the way to go. :cool:

OP
OP
S

scorpio007

Loc.
Dana Point CA.
Nice job!

Madgyver said:

Nice job on the rebuild. I like the way you took your time, and cleaned the case, and painted it. It always makes for a nice finished look. I also like the headers they make that engine look wicked. Also where did you get your HEI setup. I have seen those before and was wondering how you liked the fit and finish on that piece, let me know how it works.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
scorpio007 said:
Nice job on the rebuild. I like the way you took your time, and cleaned the case, and painted it. It always makes for a nice finished look. I also like the headers they make that engine look wicked.
Thanks
scorpio007 said:
Also where did you get your HEI setup. I have seen those before and was wondering how you liked the fit and finish on that piece, let me know how it works.
Follow the header thread and scroll down. I got a link on how I got the HEI and pics and some mods needed to be done to the distributor to fit the 4V intake I have.

ironhorse

Loc.
Troy, ID
I'm running an OD toploader with an aluminum case and the top mount shifter. I got it of eBay already set up for the Bronco, so I don't know the specifics on what it took for the conversion. I'm also unsure as to the original vehicle it came from, but the number on it was consistent with a pickup according to the parts guy. Before the OD toploader, I had the so called wide ratio toploader out of a Mustang with a Duff's (side) shifter. The Mustang tranny shifted faster, and was better for acceleration, but for most driving I prefer the OD tranny, especially hiway driving. The Duff's side shifter shifted much faster and had a more positive feel to it, but it sat to close to my leg to drive comfortably. The top mounted shifter has more of a truck feel to it, but I like not having it jammed against my leg. My tranny was also apparently converted from the side shifter to the top shifter, and ended up with a funny shift pattern. The OD gear is actually in the spot were 3rd normally would be. This could potentially be corrected with the side shifter.

Overall, I've been fairly pleased with the setup. The gear ratios seem to be just about right for the way I drive. Of course there isn't a perfect tranny for everyone. Hope this helps. If you'd like any more info on my particular swap, or some pics, just let me know.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
ironhorse,
Do you still have the wide ratio top-loader?
madgyver

cbfomoco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WV
yeh i wiould not mind to see some pics please instulled inside ond sout if possible. thanks

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
A guy told me a while back that there is some kind of topshifter Jeep shifter that will bolt on where the top cover bolts on. They use them in street rods to get a 4 speed with the old time 39 ford looking shifter

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
I called the guy about the shifter. Im just passing on what he said and cant vouch for the accuracy of it but he said the 4 speed shifter out of an 81 Jeep CJ will bolt right on the Ford Top loader 4 speed OD transmisson. Thats what they use in the street rods

67ster

Bronco Guru
I did some searching around , the Jeep T-176 toploader uses the topshifter . Another interesting thing is it also has the Ford pattern for the bellhousing . Some came in the CJs but the lower geared ones came in the J-10 pickups

ironhorse

Loc.
Troy, ID
cbfomoco,

I checked and I only have one pic of the tranny before I installed it, and its not a great one. There's no problem taking a few of it installed, but I can't post them on this forum. If you wan't to give me an email address, I can send you as many as you like.

cbfomoco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WV
ironhorse said:
cbfomoco,

I checked and I only have one pic of the tranny before I installed it, and its not a great one. There's no problem taking a few of it installed, but I can't post them on this forum. If you wan't to give me an email address, I can send you as many as you like.

no problem thanks dasher_ie@wvwc.edu or dukewantabe@yahoo.com thanks