• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

leaky oil pan

bobtail

Loc.
high in the desert
I have the kind of dipstick where the tube just pushes into the oil pan and it leaks all the time. has anyone found a remedy for that? I have thought about wraping Teflon tape around the tube but, am afraid the tape will end up in the pan eventualy.

amax

I feel your pain. I always fought with my press in dipstick leaking. Tried all kinds of sealants and almost jb welded it into the pan. Eventually decided to weld the male end of a steel compression fitting into the side of the pan. Slid the nut and collet onto the dipstick tube and was able to tighten it down and it didn’t leak anymore. I would be afraid to put Teflon tape on the tube because like you said I think it could end up in the pan.

Maddog B

I drilled the rivets that hold the inner plate, the one the dipstick goes into. I removed both plates, cleaned up everything, and tapped the inner plate for a Moroso braided dipstick tube. I flipped the inner plate upside down and welded it solid on the outside. Doesn’t leak a drop.

Attachments

• 80B39959-0326-4A8F-931B-C7B16176C4DE.jpeg
    80B39959-0326-4A8F-931B-C7B16176C4DE.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 54
I did the same thing that MadDog did. I pulled the pan, drilled out the rivets, and then welded in a fitting that fit the thread style dipstick. Now there are no leaks.