• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaky rear diff...

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
My rear diff seems to just drip .. and drip.. and drip... I almost wish it would just hurry up and burn up so it stops making such a mess!!! I has the breather thingy out the top of the axle (drivers side) and it doesnt have a cap.. should it? Also, what is involved in gaskets or whatever is needed to make it stop! ? ! ? :)

TIA

yellowbilly

Loc.
Auburn, WA
Before you start safely jack the back up and place on jack stands and block the front tires, then take the driveline off.
If it is coming "housing" where the 3rd member bolts up:
1. Take the rear wheels off
2. Remove the rear axles (the 4 bolt flange "under" the brake parts
3. Slide the axle out 4 or 5 inches
4. Unbolt the third member
5. Slide the 3rd member out (if it is stuck take the jack and put some pressure on the yoke until it "pops") then you can put a screw driver and evenly slide it off. Oil is going to drain so be ready to catch it.
6. Clean both surfaces, make sure you don't get debris into the housing or on the gear set.
7. Use some good RTV (I use ultra black) VERY sparingly. You really only just need a very thin coat, don't load it up.
8. Slide the gasket on the studs of the housing (assuming they are studs)
9. Carefully slide the 3rd member on, make sure it goes on square and contacts the surface all at the same time, not chocked.
10. Tighten to the required torque using a cross tightening pattern.
11. Button up the rest of the stuff and you are off.

If is the pinion seal I will have to get back I have to run :-[

Southerner

Where is it actually leaking from? If it is leaking at the rear drive shaft then it is most likely your pinion seal. It's not that hard to change, I did have a good Chilton manual nearby though.

OP
OP
67EB_in_619

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
I gotta hose it down with some degreaser and clean it up to see where exactly it is leaking from... ill get back.