• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaky rear main seal--OR???

Greg Bell

Hey guys,

I changed my oil the other day and noticed something. There is a bolt missing where the engine and tranny meet. Then I noticed some oil sweating from the joint. I also foolishly reused the old plastic washer and it has a little leak. Anyway, I am going to change the oil again this weekend with new washers.

What size bolt is this? I noticed none of them have nuts. Is this normal??:?

If you look where the bolt is gone you can see a small bead where the mating surfaces are. It doesn't leak at night. It just sweats a little after a drive.

web.jpg

dualsport

Loc.
Northern Nevada
Shouldn't be any oil there. That is just the bolt that holds the inspection cover on. On mine, the threads were stripped a little so I put a nut on the backs of both. 5/16" IIRC?

OP
OP
G

Greg Bell

Hmm, probably the main seal. Or maybe, JUST MAYBE, I need a new washer. We shall see.