• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaky Transmission

commoncold

I know old cars are "supposed" to leaky by nature. However, I need to know how much leak these trucks can take before something goes wrong. Everytime I look under my bronco, I see the bottom half of the tranny soaked in oil and is on the verge of a single drop. Is it really worth taking the trans out and re-sealing or just keep and eye on it every now and then? Also, what kind of oil and how much is used in a stock three speed? Any tips on filling it to the correct level?

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I think they take 80-90 gear oil. just remember a little oil leaked goes a long way. 1 tsp can make a huge mess. just check it every so often.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I have 3 drip pans under my bronco and it still a mess under it.
My tranny will change it own Fluid in about six months.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X2 on checking the oil level might want to pressure wash the underside of your bronco then observe where the leak may be coming from many times its the engine leaking and not the tranny. Most leaks are easy to fix and just because the vehicle is old doesnt mean its prone to leaking it just means you have gotten around to fixing it. If it is the tranny you can usually fix most leaks without pulling the tranny as the shifter arm seals are a common place that leaks. At most you may have to pull the tcase and reseal the adapter housing as thats the next common spot. Worst case its leaking from the input shaft seal and then you will need to pull the tranny usually when leaking from here you will start having clutch issues as well so it kinda gos hand in hand with installing a new clutch.
As for filling the tranny theres a squate headed plug about 1/2way up on the pass side fill it until the oil starts to run out the hole. You can get a smalll hand pump with a hose that hooks to the oil bottle at most parts store it really helps refill the tranny and axles especailly in tight quarters.

cs_88

Bronco Guru
I have 3 drip pans under my bronco and it still a mess under it.
My tranny will change it own Fluid in about six months.

X2. Thank god for epoxy floor paint.

Last edited:

ransil

Bronco Guru
I gotta get another bag of kitty litter, the last bag has absorb all it can.