• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Let's see pics....bobbed chopped rear 1/4's

mattt

Bronco Guru
The rear quarters behind the rear wheel on both sides of my 69 are smashed up/in, and I'm trying to decide if I want to pull them back out or cut them off. I've seen a few Broncos with bobbed rear 1/4's and it seems like they looked pretty good. The options are wide open as far as where to cut(how high) and best method to not make a mess. Looking for pics, suggestions, how-to's on cut or bobbed rear 1/4's.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can't believe nobody else has chimed in on this a couple days later.

Here is what I did.... I moved the rear axle back and if I kept just enough of the tail-light housing to still radius the fender it just didn't look right. I didn't want to "bob" it because my wife wanted to be able to put a soft top on it (for her comfort) and I didn't want to rock that boat because without her support on the build it wouldn't have been possible. I decided to shorten the tailgate which was way easier than I imagined it would be. I centered the FORD so I wasn't a F or FO. The end caps came off with some spot weld cutters and then I just cut some meat out of the gate and welded the caps back on. Used the upper pieces cut out of the gate to round the corners out and used some 1/4" angle iron to put the factor hinges and latches on. Tailgate is still functional. I luckily had some old rusted bronco carcasses that I cut two extra (2 for each side) wheel wells out of to extend the wheel wells. This could have been bent from scratch, but I had them so used them and they have the same ribs as the originals.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And one from Super Celeb that I stole from Tasker's collection...

attachment.php

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
You and me both ;) Nice looking Bronco you have there, but that is a bit more 'bobbed' than I was thinking. I'm mainly talking about the bottom 4"-6" of the rear quarter behind the wheel. Lots of views....not too many pics or replies.

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
I've never seen anything like that before. Most people doing this opt for narrowing the entire body or running a full buggy type cage in the back.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Narrowed the grill up front too and you can see in the last pic how much the front is bobbed. I took the turn signals out and shortened the hood when I cut it. The full width 60's make it look even more turned in though.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Here a pic of mine before paint. Not much cut, more so blended in to match flare when raised up to the body line.

7117no_seam.jpg

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
Here a pic of mine before paint. Not much cut, more so blended in to match flare when raised up to the body line.

7117no_seam.jpg

Thanks Mad....that is what I'm looking for. Do you remember how much you cut off the bottom, or measurements or if there is a natural body line at which to cut? Thanks.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Where's your brake lights?

Who needs brake lights on the trail? J/K.... I actually have it wired so that I can plug in some magnetic lights to a trailer hitch plug when needed. This truck will not see much time on the street - I can't afford new rubber with the spool.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cut off even with the top of bumper

Attachments

• DSC01921.jpg
    DSC01921.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 91
OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the pic....that looks good. Do you remember how far up you cut it off?

mtfit

Bronco Guru
Loc.
pa
a few of my rig

Attachments

• new rig 036.jpg
    new rig 036.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 92
  • new rig 040.jpg
    new rig 040.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
i cut mine off little below the bottom of tailgate when i originally re did the bronco just so that they didnt get smashed as easily . use a cutoff wheel and its like magic

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...38246454391.2051313.1178022532&type=3&theater

That looks good. If I look from the back of the Bronco, there is an angled bracket in & below from the tailgate that is part of the rear corner and that looks like a natural place to start the cut from. Is that where yours is cut?

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
movin this thread up....looking for a few more examples and possibly some dimensions of where you cut. Thanks

Lee N

rear quarter

Here is what I did on my rear quarters. Any more and I would loose the tail lights.

Attachments

• rearb.jpg
    rearb.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 38
  • phone dump 024sm.jpg
    phone dump 024sm.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 39
  • quarter.jpg
    quarter.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 32

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.