• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Letting somebody else work on your Bronco

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
Am I the only one that worries about my Bronco after dropping it off to be worked on? This is only the 3rd time I've let anyone but me work on it in 16 years of owning it and I took it to the best shop in town but I feel like I just dropped my kid off at a strangers house lol.

Its necessary though, I've been trying to solve the same problem for weeks and figured it was time for somebody else to look at it so I could fix the problem.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bitch'nBronco

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
Here's a photo
fdbe791ef0737378f18dcef16efa11cc.jpg

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
It's enormously difficult to find a shop that'll work on classic cars anymore. A guy in a local hiking group I belong to referred me to his mechanic that regularly works on his '55 Buick.

After following up on that referral, I went and talked to Carey. His shop always has a classic car or two in there and he himself dives his K code Mustang to work occasionally.

It's nice to find a shop and mechanic you trust.

OP
OP
Bitch'nBronco

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
I checked around and found out one of the mechanics works on most of the Broncos in the Monterey area. I felt better when I showed up and saw a business card from Driven 4x4 and a bunch of Wild Horses stickers on the windows. Still weird not having it in my garage though haha

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I found a tranny shop a few years back that would rebuild my C4. They thought is was very cool and took great care of it. There was a older guy there that had a lot of experience with this vintage and looked forward to the job.

To this day, it performs very nicely.

76YETI

Contributor
Loc.
KC METRO
Yep, I run down a list of things....Will it be stored inside, Have you worked on any, etc.

Same story, walked into a transmission shop and peeked inside their bays and immediately saw a high end Bronco and thought, yep--she's good! For you KC folks, that's Edgar's Transmissions

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Yup, hard to find a regular garage to work on our Broncos. During our move from TX to CO all my tools were in storage so when my tranny went out on my 72 Bronco I needed a shop to R&R the tranny - simply swap out the tranny for a replacement one I had found. I had already replaced the clutch, TO bearing, pilot bushing, etc. by pulling the engine for access. I found a local shop that agreed (somewhat reluctantly) to do the work. I told them it had a new clutch and nothing but swapping the transmission was needed. I dropped it off. A day later I got a call asking if the tranny had ever been removed before. I told them I didn't know and that the clutch was changed by pulling the engine. They then said they would not do the work - they were afraid they'd break a rusted bolt and it would turn into a bigger job than they wanted to do!

I did find another shop about 50 miles away. I explained the situation and they enthusiastically said they liked challenges! They did it for less cost and didn't break any bolts. Just need to find the right shop. They're still out there!

But to answer Bitch'n's question - I also get a bit nervous dropping a Bronco off for someone else to work on it.

yakelys69

When I took mine to check the alignment the kid went to get in, looked at all 3 sticks and was like hay can you drive it in for us?

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yup, hard to find a regular garage to work on our Broncos. During our move from TX to CO all my tools were in storage so when my tranny went out on my 72 Bronco I needed a shop to R&R the tranny - simply swap out the tranny for a replacement one I had found. I had already replaced the clutch, TO bearing, pilot bushing, etc. by pulling the engine for access. I found a local shop that agreed (somewhat reluctantly) to do the work. I told them it had a new clutch and nothing but swapping the transmission was needed. I dropped it off. A day later I got a call asking if the tranny had ever been removed before. I told them I didn't know and that the clutch was changed by pulling the engine. They then said they would not do the work - they were afraid they'd break a rusted bolt and it would turn into a bigger job than they wanted to do!

I did find another shop about 50 miles away. I explained the situation and they enthusiastically said they liked challenges! They did it for less cost and didn't break any bolts. Just need to find the right shop. They're still out there!

But to answer Bitch'n's question - I also get a bit nervous dropping a Bronco off for someone else to work on it.

Pretty much why I hate working on older vehicles, I can warn owners about possible add on charges but they still bitch and complain after the job is done. I've gotten pretty cynical after 33 years as a Ford technician it's pretty much no good dead goes unpunished anymore :(

FORD*DIEHARD

Contributor
I also am very hesitant on taking, more less leaving my Bronco somewhere. I did a lot of research reading post on the forum as well before I took my Bronco in last August. Felt comfortable, very nice high end Broncos were in there.

I just took it in for some front end work, its been awhile since my Bronco had any major work done so when the shop called and recommended some additional work I understood. When additional work was recommended I asked how many (hours) are we into the project as with most shops $100 hour is about the rate he didnt have the exact amount at the time but estimated about 18-20 hours, so I said before you continue I need to know where we are. Come to find out he said (38 hours) not even close so I had all work stopped (and I just found out that my job might be having layoffs.) Again, I understand additional work equals additional hours and you cant forsee issues , but when you get charged (18 hrs more than the estimated quote) am I the only one that doesn't get it? A lot of things I was not happy with. Again the shop is highly respected and turns out very nice Broncos but just wasn't happy for what I got. The Broncos I saw them working on were also having work done and the areas around them were clean.

Parts near where they replaced other parts were dirty and greasy with hand prints, stains left on my bumper and inside engine bay, my truck is far from a show truck but I take pride in what I have and know that's not how I left it.

The way I felt after explaining how I felt about the work and not even being close on the hours I was told basically take it somewhere else. Even with the not so great experience I probably would have taken my Bronco back , but didnt feel they felt the same way. I dont question mechanics, I respect everything they do and know, and as mentioned by several others , there hard to find anymore.

I dont mind having to drive and pass 1000 different shops to get to one that you can trust.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
My biggest problem is with shops that "up-sell" on a normal basis.
I recently replaced the tie rod ends. I had done a "tape measure" toe-in alignment and took the Bronco to a front end shop for a proper alignment. It was a nice shop that sees a lot of vintage cars, and came highly recommended.

Before I got out of there, the owner had pointed out every wet spot, every dent in the exhaust, and even made a comment that the NV3550 tranny was unsuitable for a Bronco. He even thought he had to quote a price to fix all the stuff.
This Bronco is a daily driver. It may not be perfect, but doesn't leak a drop of anything. I've always done all my own work, and feel that it's a pretty nice car.
I finally got the guy focused on my needs, and told him to just check the toe-in.
He did that and said it was on spec. He charged me $50.

I'll never go back or recommend his shop.

It must have been a slow week for this guy.

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
Yes!! Haha.. Got a new locking differential installed the other day in my front end. Had to leave it with the shop for 3 days :eek:..
I drove by at night to make sure he locked it up inside of their gates. I was extremely happy to see it not only locked up, but up on an outdoor lift up as high as it could go lol. I've only left mine with 3 people over the last 17 years and try to do everything myself

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
The shop I use for Dana gear set up and the occasional item I don't have time to get to (or want to do like Dana gear swaps...) is in the gehto, they don't want any of my stuff there overnight. Fortunately I know them well, if it has to stay and can't be on the rack in the shop that is more like Fort Knox, he takes it home or delivers it to me. I've left him trucks for over a week while out of town, he keeps them at his house until I can pick it up.

OP
OP
Bitch'nBronco

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
Yes!! Haha.. Got a new locking differential installed the other day in my front end. Had to leave it with the shop for 3 days :eek:..

I drove by at night to make sure he locked it up inside of their gates. I was extremely happy to see it not only locked up, but up on an outdoor lift up as high as it could go lol. I've only left mine with 3 people over the last 17 years and try to do everything myself
I thought I was nuts for taking a drive last night to make sure it wasn't left out in the parking lot lol, I guess its normal.

Really hoping they can solve my problem. I either have an exhaust leak that I can find, lifter tap or a bent valve. I've tried fixing it for weeks and hoping a fresh set of eyes will be able to figure it out.

68Broncoz

Contributor
I agree I don't like anyone working on any of my vehicles as I am a bit of a perfectionist. However sometimes hiring an expert saves time and money. As well they get it right the first time. It is important to find a shop that you trust. It took my a couple years.

I started to do the body on paint on my Bronco and soon realized that a body shop could do it better and much more efficient. They did a better job then I would have done, however it did cost much more than expected.

My Bronco is pretty close to being done (at least for now). If I would have done it myself I would likely have a couple more years to finish.

Just my experience,

Chris

OP
OP
Bitch'nBronco

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
I agree I don't like anyone working on any of my vehicles as I am a bit of a perfectionist. However sometimes hiring an expert saves time and money. As well they get it right the first time. It is important to find a shop that you trust. It took my a couple years.

I started to do the body on paint on my Bronco and soon realized that a body shop could do it better and much more efficient. They did a better job then I would have done, however it did cost much more than expected.

My Bronco is pretty close to being done (at least for now). If I would have done it myself I would likely have a couple more years to finish.

Just my experience,

Chris
Absolutely correct! Just brought my bronco home and their assessment really helped me get my problem figured out. Not so bad, just sucks not having it at home in the garage

ngsd

Bronco Guru
Some might say I am too proud, others may say I am too cheap. Either way the answer is no way!

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
I thought I was nuts for taking a drive last night to make sure it wasn't left out in the parking lot lol, I guess its normal.

Really hoping they can solve my problem. I either have an exhaust leak that I can find, lifter tap or a bent valve. I've tried fixing it for weeks and hoping a fresh set of eyes will be able to figure it out.

Great minds think alike... A dirty nasty leg would have not checked on their Bronco's status lol ;D