• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Liftgate shocks

greggonzo1

Loc.
Albuquerque NM
Sorry if this is a double post..

Does anyone have the tech article/part numbers for the DIY Liftage shock mod?

Thanks in advance
-Greg

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't know if there is a tech article on here or not, it seems as though there was a article in Bronco Driver a few years ago, I'm not positive. You would probably be better off just buying a kit from one of the vendors, it will have all the parts, instuctions and you want have to run all over hell looking for the right shocks. It's an easy install.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
surfer-b nailed it.

Most of the vendors offer a kit, and by the time you chase all the parts down, you'll have spent that much or more. It's one of the best mods I ever did, my liftgate hasn't fallen and knocked me out since putting on the shocks. ;D

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I installed mine recently. Does everyones elses sag just a bit or did I get a bad set of gas springs? I always feel like the lift gate is going to fall on my head.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i used one of the vendor's kits, then made my own. my hatch went up another 5" or so, and i had stronger shocks. i used the mounts on the gate from the vendor, then made the mounts on the top out of 3/4" square tubing. the hardest part is finding the ball studs the shocks snap on to.

in the end it cost me about the same as the vendor kits.

mcdobson

Loc.
Sacramento
I made my set in 1986ish with pinto hatchback struts 10mm ball mounts from Dorman and modified the original top mount. These days most parts people wouldn't understand what you were talking about or where to source the parts.
Buying the kit from a vendor makes more sense to me and the cost is real close.

OP
OP
G

greggonzo1

Loc.
Albuquerque NM
Well I have found the ball studs and shocks at napa. I just didnt know how much weight each should be or where I could get some brackets w/out drilling out the old ones.