• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Light Blue or Dark Blue for Motor Color?

Mill KNOB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rock Hill, SC
I know that it is some where on the Forum about the color of blue that the motors are suppose to be from the 60's to the 70's.
But I can't find what I am looking for.

So I am working on my 68 and the motor is the first thing that I have been working on. I have pull the front of the motor and going to pull the oil pan and while I have them off I figure I would clean them up and shoot some paint on them.

So what color is my 1968 with a 289 in it suppose to be? LIGHT Blue or What?

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
I like the dark blue, has nothing to do about whats proper for my year,its about what looks best to me. Plus all the other dress up items it just seems to work better.

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
Light blue was an earlier color. Dark blue is more appropriate if you are looking for originality.

OP
OP
Mill KNOB

Mill KNOB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rock Hill, SC
I like the dark blue, has nothing to do about whats proper for my year,its about what looks best to me. Plus all the other dress up items it just seems to work better.

I hear ya.. But I am a picky person when it come to this kind of stuff.

Even thow my 68 is not a show queen. But I do want to kind of go back to the OEM color.

OP
OP
Mill KNOB

Mill KNOB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rock Hill, SC
Is there any of you out there that could show me some Pic of the light blue on the ealier year and give me the part number or tell me what it is call that you painted your motor with.

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Not a great pic, but this is 'Ford blue' rattle can from Autozone. I am building the motor now, but also wanted something original-ish in the Ford color.

BE40B146-77BE-42C1-B611-AF0DA162E4B5-1113-00000174FD2BAE7B.jpg

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I painted mine with the OLD FORD BLUE which is the lighter color

Attachments

• 5.0 2.jpg
    5.0 2.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 101

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Correct for your '68 is the darker, also called corporate blue.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X2 on the darker blue. Supposedly 69 and later engines were a lighter shade than the 66/68 engines. Im not sure where the lighter ford blue came into play but i think it was used before 66 on some engines