• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lisense Plate Lights

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
I'm looking for ideas to illuminate the license plate on my '70. I like quick, cheap, and easy for this one. ;D I think I have to have this to be legal.

I forgot all about that little part when I re-did my rear harness, but I don't think it will be too bad to splice into the parking light wire for one more bulb. Better to do it now than have a cop remind me if and when I ever get on the road.

Some PO just sprayed over the existing bulb location, and it didn't have a lens, so it a nice paint caked mess. I might could salvage it but I doubt it would be very reliable. A new setup runs about $40-$60, and since this is my hope to be trail rig I'm not worried about it looking 100% factory original.

I've seen some lights that appear to attach to the license plate bolts themselves, anyone like those? I'm open to ideas since I may have to re-work it all anyway.

There are lots of creative people here, I figure someone has found a cheap way to satisfy the law and maybe even look decent. Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I've seen some lights that appear to attach to the license plate bolts themselves, anyone like those? I'm open to ideas since I may have to re-work it all anyway.

Id start with these. Look in the import section at your local auto store.

Or maybe look into motorcycle plate lights.

Last edited:

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
I had those bolts with built in LED lights, they were worthless. These shine straight back and don,t light the plate up much. You could use them and make a couple of small ] brackets that would act as reflectors in front of the bulb, drill a hole to mount and I would use a little piece of stainless steel or anything that would direct the light down towards the plate You can tried them, but not sure if the cops will like them. The bolts are chromed and are crappy as they will rust, ask me how I know? Cheap wise I remember I use to get some $5 plates that had lights in them already, I use to get them at PepBoys. Haven't been in the market for any so can't say they still have them. They make the same in Billet but are pricey. I Have seen them also at the local swap meets. If you go with anything thats LED you need next to no power to run them. Good Luck....Mo

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Garb an underhood light out of a junker or pm delconick on here and get all the org.parts .........just my .02;)

first timer

I bought a pair of the bolt lights that point down. Didn't think two would be enough light so I got two more. They seem to be fine, but I don't look back there much when the lights are on:)

Did pass inspection that way

Gerbow

Loc.
Jacksonville
Mine has a plate frame that lights up. No bulky lights. Most autoparts stores shuld have it. About $10+.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
This is strange,because ever time I work on something odd on my Bronco it pops up on here too.I just refurbed mine last week after 20 yrs without it.;)

stock1970

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, Kansas
side note, I never understood why it is against the law to not have a light on your plate, shouldnt the cops headlights be shining on it at when it is dark out.. lol .. then it would have a light on /// lol..

you could look for a simple plate light for a trailor,, i found a small one at autozone for cheap when i moved my plate to the gas can/cooler rack ..

OP
OP
Airmapper

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
Thanks for all the suggestions. I like the light bolt idea as I won't have to fab anything, but it sounds like finding a good set might be hit or miss.