• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

LizardSkin (sound deadening and/or insulation spray on product)

ToddinMT

Loc.
Golden Triangle, MT
Long time lurker, first time restorer.

So, the body is straight and primed and i got to reading about sound protection spray and dynamat type stuff. I spent most of my youth in the back seat of that damn bronco and i know how loud it is.

I came across lizard skin specifically. www.lizardskin.com They advertise sound control and a different spray for insulation

My question for the more experienced masses:

1) any recommendations for sound deadening sprays v. dynamat type stuff?
2) is insulation a real thing and do you notice a heat difference?
3) Any competing spray products i should also consider?
4) shut up and just buy both of the lizard skin products and get on the damn road?

Please and thank you.

p.s. i posted this same thing on bronco tech side by mistake, and im getting that other thread nuked.

Jamie Chriss

I just got done spraying both the sound deadener and heat control on my Bronco. I look forward to hearing how great it is, I am many months from actually hearing my truck make noise. I will say the heat control leaves a sandy texture you should consider painting it afterwards. See my post: Floor Pan and other Welding Issues.
I laid down a few coat of epoxy primer, seam sealed everything I could, sprayed another 2 coats of primer, three coats of sound deadener, and 3 coats of heat shield fire wall back to edge of the platform, 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of paint and then clear coated it. Prob extreme for most peeps but.. I used 3 tubs of sound and 2 heat, I also did the front wheel wells and door interiors.

gnpenning

Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Hey Todd welcome, what part of the state are you in?

3. Lizard skin is paint and ceramic beads. Check out HyTech, I think that's the right name. They sell the beads allot cheaper and you can make your own Lizard skin.

Any sound reduction is a huge help.

OP
OP
T

ToddinMT

Loc.
Golden Triangle, MT

3. Lizard skin is paint and ceramic beads. Check out HyTech, I think that's the right name. They sell the beads allot cheaper and you can make your own Lizard skin.

North of Great Falls. :)

thanks, ill check that out too.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I ordered the Hytec ceramic beads and will be mixing them with tintable Raptor liner. The beads are supposed to insulate and deaden the sound. Ken

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well I used LS heat and sound for my last couple of Bronco projects as well as other things like a boat engine cover, etc. Happy with the results. However, I just bought the Hytech beads for paint for my shop door which is southwest facing and makes an oven out of the building in the summer. I'll take some IR measurements before and after and see how it does. Mark

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well I used LS heat and sound for my last couple of Bronco projects as well as other things like a boat engine cover, etc. Happy with the results. However, I just bought the Hytech beads for paint for my shop door which is southwest facing and makes an oven out of the building in the summer. I'll take some IR measurements before and after and see how it does. Mark

mark, that would be useful info. what kind of door, roll up, garage, etc. i have lizard skin on my bronco, but i am a long ways from knowing how well it works. my buddy uses it on any street rod he builds. he likes it a lot.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Fordguy the shop is a former helicopter hanger with horizontal bifold galvanized sheet metal, facing west. Pretty hot here in the summer months and that door acts like a giant radiator. I'm hoping I can drop the surface temp a few degrees so the space doesn't get quite so hot when I'm not there working and everything is closed up. When I'm there I have the doors on both ends open for a little ventilation. It may be a little bit before I get to that particular project though!

lbuch40

Contributor
Loc.
Black Hills

Is Lizard skin (or paint and ceramic beads something you put on the INSIDE?

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can do both sides, that's what I've done as I've had the tubs off the frames. Otherwise just do the inside.