• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lock Rite lockers on a street rig. Should I?

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Can I/ should I run lock rite lockers front and rear on the street?

Pros?

Cons?

Thanks!

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had a lockrite on my 94 bronco and it was street truck. It did pretty easy trails and worked great. Does the usual locking/unlocking of a locker when doing U turns. I did have problem w/ it when it would not lock back up after it unlocked and had to replace it. If it's a street only bronco, I would do a truetrac. A lot tougher then the lockrite.

Eugene

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
My rear Lockrite last about 4 years for trail and street duty before it broke... on acceleration it would pull left and on decel it would pull right....I think that is typical for most lockers..... My front Lockrite is still going in the front end.... no worries there so far!

OP
OP
MyOriginal66

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
I'll probaly never see more dirt than a loose trail or some mud (don't judge). But it's got the ratio I need and the lockers come with...

Decisions, decisions...

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If the price is right go for it. Worst case if you dont like it you can always reinstall the spider and side gears.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
I would only do a lockrite in the front, if you are street driving. The rear locker will wear out and it will ratchet/load/unload and it gets kind of annoying sometimes. The front will almost never be used, unless you are going 4wd. If you are changing everything, I'd just use the other ring and pinion with your current rear carrier.

Hank_

Bronco Guru
I'll probaly never see more dirt than a loose trail or some mud (don't judge). But it's got the ratio I need and the lockers come with...

Decisions, decisions...

I would say don't do it. If you are not going to be off-roading where lockers are needed they the quirky effects will not be worth the hassle. Just save and re-gear what you have. It sounds like you do plenty of street driving with your bronco and it can take some of the fun out of driving it. I have had lockers on past vehicles and would now only consider something like ARB that I can lock or unlock.

Henry

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
For a street rig, go limited slip - won't wear out your tires or make noise on dry pavement, will act as a posi off road, where it counts.

You can go clutch based (trak-loc, powerk-lok, etc etc) or helical based (tru-track - gear type, nothing to wear out)

I've got l/s front and rear in my pickup and with the front locked in and turning in the parking lot the truck will noticeable slow down and bind up, power-loks work awesome.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
I think the Lock Rights are plenty strong, I blew the bearing caps out of my 9" and twisted 2 31 spline axles and never broke mine or wore it out. I had mine in a Fullsize Bronco, Fullsize truck and my EB and used it for over 10 years and a bunch of miles.

I would not recommend it for a short wheelbases high powered Bronco, the torque steer was not good with a flexy suspension.

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
For a street rig, go limited slip - won't wear out your tires or make noise on dry pavement, will act as a posi off road, where it counts.

You can go clutch based (trak-loc, powerk-lok, etc etc) or helical based (tru-track - gear type, nothing to wear out)

I've got l/s front and rear in my pickup and with the front locked in and turning in the parking lot the truck will noticeable slow down and bind up, power-loks work awesome.

x2
I am Aussie locked front and rear. They work fine but they are either clicking or chirping the tires when I turn. I am running 4.11s right now and will be going to 4.88s and when I do I will at least change the rear to a good LS differential.
Dennis

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
ive been using lock rights for many years. they have always worked great. i even had a new detroit ez locker...but it bit the dust the 1st trail ride! so i started comparing them, and IMO the lock right is the strongest..in the area where the pin and springs are.

now with all that said, im removing my 3rd with lock right, due to the 5sp i installed and dont like how it works with stick shifts. everything before this were autos and made driving easier. so if ya got a auto..go for it, stick shift...go posi(street truck)

OP
OP
MyOriginal66

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
I'm going auto and I'm waiting to hear back on a 31 spline trac-loc posi set-up for the rear. Hopefully can work a deal on the lock rite for the 44. Sounds like I'll have what I need if I can work the deals out. Thanks for all the input