• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lockers, gears, steering and more

msweb

Bronco Guru
Ok folks, the parts have been ordered and I'm about to get to work. I'm stepping up from 3.55's to 4.56's, a detroit in the rear and a Ez locker in the front. I was told that I would need to switch carriers in my Dana 44 to go with the 4.56 gears? Can anyone explain why in layman's terms? ?:?

As soon as I get my PS box switched (going back to the stock 4x4 box) I'll be ordering my Stone Crusher system from Anthony. He and his wife were VERY helpful in my decision making process. I hope his products are as good as the service!

There are a few other things in the works for my "Rhino Edition" and if all goes well, I'll see you at the 40th celebration at Windrock!!!

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
msweb said:
Ok folks, the parts have been ordered and I'm about to get to work. I'm stepping up from 3.55's to 4.56's, a detroit in the rear and a Ez locker in the front. I was told that I would need to switch carriers in my Dana 44 to go with the 4.56 gears? Can anyone explain why in layman's terms? ?:?

As soon as I get my PS box switched (going back to the stock 4x4 box) I'll be ordering my Stone Crusher system from Anthony. He and his wife were VERY helpful in my decision making process. I hope his products are as good as the service!

There are a few other things in the works for my "Rhino Edition" and if all goes well, I'll see you at the 40th celebration at Windrock!!!
It has to do with the diameter of the pinion. As the gear ratio goes higher the pinion diameter gets smaller. To compensate for this the ring gear needs to be moved closer to the pinion. The normal way to do this is to get a carrier that has the mounting surface for the ring gear closer to the pinion. Recently thicker gears have become available which some people are using instead of changing the carrier so that might be an option.

rednck21

yes you will need to get a new carrier with the 4.56's. the carrier break is at 3.91-3.92...did i get it right this time Mr.N? ;D . the reason being is the offset of the ring gear. the carrier for the numerically higher ratio is offset more toward the pinion. i wish i had some pics to show...

OP
OP
msweb

msweb

Bronco Guru
THANK YOU for an answer I can easily undertand! It sucks being a rookie but I'm learning!

We've already got the gears so the new carrier is the only option and already ordered. I just wanted to know why. I can be anal like that some times.

Windrock, here I come (as soon as I figure out how to put it all together %))

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Are you doing the gears yourself? It's not really something that a shadetree mechanic can do. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Keep us posted, you will be amazed at the difference, especially going from open 3.50's to locked 4.56's!!

J.D.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
msweb said:
THANK YOU for an answer I can easily undertand! It sucks being a rookie but I'm learning!

We've already got the gears so the new carrier is the only option and already ordered. I just wanted to know why. I can be anal like that some times.

Windrock, here I come (as soon as I figure out how to put it all together %))

;D ;D ;D I have been playing with bronco's since the late 60's and still I learn new things every day. Bronco is best for my money good luck and have fun. %) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p

OP
OP
msweb

msweb

Bronco Guru
74BroncoCO said:
Are you doing the gears yourself? It's not really something that a shadetree mechanic can do. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Keep us posted, you will be amazed at the difference, especially going from open 3.50's to locked 4.56's!!

J.D.

No, this is definitely beyond my scope of abilities. I'll pull everything out but the guys I work with at the shop... ok, the guys I sit around and harrass at the shop are going to show me how. My lesson in setting the backlash was warning enough that swapping a ring and pinion/whole carrier was warning enough.

I'm pretty stoked about being locked up let alone the gear change. Look out rattlerock, here we come!