• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

locking gas cap wont unlock help!

mauibronco

howzit guys,

i recently bought one of those new scott drake billet aluminum locking gas cap from one of the main bronco vendors....i put it on before noticing they gave me the wrong keys for it....there is no marking or code on it to match it with the right set of keys. the vendor suggested using a 'slide hammer' from a body shop to get it off. problem with that is, i dont want to have to buy that tool, and if i go to a body shop theyre gonna charge me....any advise as to what i should do to get it off?? ps. i dont care about damaging it in the removal process :)

thanks

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
auto stores rent slide hammers.

Depending on your bronco and its paint job I bet a 2x4 placed agasint the body and a claw hammer would pop that cap in a millisecond.

Im not impressed with scott drake stuff. My lift off hinges were junk

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
You may want to get a Locksmith to unlock it for you.I would work something out with the vendor also as far as the bill goes.Slidehammer=bad idea.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
would work something out with the vendor also as far as the bill goes

HAHAHA! That's the funniest thing I heard all day. They ant gona cover shit! I have spent thousands on shitty bronco parts. That's just broncoing for ya!

And why the need for a locking cap??? The new dodge diesels don't even have a gas cap. Just a spring loaded ball or something.

Im sure that cap wasn't cheep and I feel bad for you and everyone else in the bronco community that is stuck buying this expensive bronco JUNK!

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
There use to be a video on YouTube that showed how to unlock a gas cap with lost key.

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
There use to be a video on YouTube that showed how to unlock a gas cap with lost key.

If it has a single cut key it is pretty easy pick.I used a couple of allen wrenches to make a set of picks that work pretty well.I've broken in to all kinds of stuff;)

BroncKrawler

Loc.
Harrisburg, Oregon
I have spent thousands on shitty bronco parts. That's just broncoing for ya!

Not sure which Vendor(s) you are buying Bronco parts from, but I've spent thousands on quality parts. Can't think of anything I've bought that's caused me any serious problems or didn't work as advertised. Shop smart and research generally pays off.

As for the gas cap, I'd call a lock smith or get ahold of the vendor and see if they can help you out. That or try to pick the lock yourself. Sorry this happened to ya though. Good luck brother

JSBX

Contributor
Agree with the locksmith. Trying to pry it off is just going cause damage. Sometimes you just get a bad part. It does not mean that all parts you get from that vendor is going to be bad. I have owned 35+ Broncos in my life time and have bought many parts from our vendors. I have yet to receive a part from a vendor that was [junk] and not have it replaced. Most of the time when I call to tell them a part is bad they will send a new one right then and not wait for me to send the bad part back. I can count on three fingers how many times I have received bad parts. So something is not right if you are spending thousands of dollars on junk.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Happened to me once. i pounded a screwdriver in it and turned. Worked for me but if it dont you could be in more trouble. violence is usually the answer

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
If you have a harbor freight near by they have a key pick set for locking gas caps sad thing is gas cap locks are the easiest thing to pick theres only 4 different picks that are needed to do any gas cap.

nickgp

Bronco Guru
If you arnt into picking it, I would think there is only a couple of keys that come with that particular locking cap. I have the non locking billit version. Its a nice cap. Glad they didnt have a locking option when I got mine, but hell, the gas never lasts in the tank long enough to steal and I dont leave it parked where im concerned of fuel theft. That would be my least concern.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
If you arnt into picking it, I would think there is only a couple of keys that come with that particular locking cap. I have the non locking billit version. Its a nice cap. Glad they didnt have a locking option when I got mine, but hell, the gas never lasts in the tank long enough to steal and I dont leave it parked where im concerned of fuel theft. That would be my least concern.

That's the thing the picks for gas caps are just a key blank there's no real pick needed. I was a locksmith and it would pi$$ people off when you show up with what looks like four keys and one of them will open it in less than 10 seconds. Still had to change them and that sucked but I was not the boss.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would ask the vendor to send you 1 of every key. There can't be that many of them.

OP
OP
M

mauibronco

haha....right on you guys! thanks for the helpful and funny comments....im gonna start by calling the locksmith and seeing what he says....maybe the vendor can send me one of each key and ill just send them back to them...if none of these or the other options work then of course i'll turn to violence :)
anyway, mahalo again you guys....i have been a bronco owner for 20+ years now but my skills are limited in comparison to most of you guys so thats why i pose the dumb question. anyway, if you guys are ever in maui, hit me up so we can talk bronco!

thanks again!!!

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
Never feel like you are asking a dumb question all of us need help with something otherwise we wouldn't be on here other than to shoot the breeze. Everyone of us have a different skill set even if its just shooting the breeze and asking question and that not directed towards you. It has to do with the fact that lately it seem like so of the guys on here are going threw some kind of crysis ragging on most of the new guys on here. Sorry maybe Im having my own crysis need sleep I guess.

gnpenning

Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
If you get a single cut key that will slide in rock the key side to side
( might be able to use the key they sent you). Pull it out and look at marks on key. Us a v file and cut your own grooves a little at a time. Doesn't take to long and faster than fixing body damage.