• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Look for Input on Body Panel Replacement

aj

Loc.
Holts Summit , Mo
Sorry for the long post but it was necessary to draw the whole picture and ask all related questions. I appriecate your time for reading and answering.

This is mostly directed toward those who have done it and/or do it everyday. I recently became an early Bronco owner again. This passed weekend I ripped out all the old carpet and factory floor matting to expose the floor pans to see what I had. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting but I do plan to do the restoration right and replace everthing that has any areas with rust through. That includes most of the floor pans, kick panels, aprons, rear quarters, doors, front fenders, tailgate, etc. Now, other than the front floor pans everything else is in good enough condtion to run it a while and enjoy it while I build up on pans to do most of the sheetmetal at once.

I am wanting to be able to drive it and enjoy it in the mean time while I build up on pans since I (like most Americans) live on a budget and can only afford to buy stuff as money allows. By doing this I can also work on and find all the leaks and drive tran repairs necessary to make the drive tran reliable.

Ok to my questions:

1.Is there a specific order or better order to do the panel replacement so to not throw off the linement of the body?

2. If one were to replace panels as he were to get them would sheetmetal screws hold the new panels to the old panel (ones that will be replaced in future) temporarily and be strong enough and reliable?

3. Do you need all your doors, hood, tailgate, front fenders, grill (bolt on body parts) present to do much of this body panel replacement?

4. In relation to question #3, my educated guess tells me that it would be best to have all body panels (especially the exterior ones) present to do body panel replacement. If tbat is so, and a person orders all these panels and builds them up like the way I'm considering how well do the venders stand behind the fit of the panels a year or two later if they don't fit properly? I have read posts that metion guys having issues with the fit of the front fenders and requarters and such lining up.

Thanks for your advice/experience.

jason.k

Loc.
Gulfport Ms
Aj,
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your bronco.
I am currently rebuilding my tub now. I am not an expert as this is my first bronco I have build and made a few mistakes along the way but I learned so I that that as a plus. For your questions.
1. First thing you need to do is buy new body mounts. This will allow you to stars on a level surface as the old ones are more than likely crushed and deformed. Then I would say do the floor pans. Like a house. Start from the ground up. Check where your inner rocker, kick panel, and lower A pilar sandwich together. That is a very common spot that rust out. I think working from inside out will be best. I did not do this but wish I did floor pans then inner rocker and then kick panel. I think things will stay lined up better this way.

2. I would not drive it with just sheet metal screws. Others might say different.

3. I would want all exterior panels on hand. That way you can have things like inner fenders core support screwed together and test fit exterior panels. Once they fit to your likes remove then and weld everything up.

4. All the after market parts I have ordered seem to need some trimming and massaging. As far as return I'm not sure but I just try and make it work because shipping in my case is almost as much as the parts I order.

Others that have way more knowledge than me will chime in.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Aj,
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your bronco.
I am currently rebuilding my tub now. I am not an expert as this is my first bronco I have build and made a few mistakes along the way but I learned so I that that as a plus. For your questions.
1. First thing you need to do is buy new body mounts. This will allow you to stars on a level surface as the old ones are more than likely crushed and deformed. Then I would say do the floor pans. Like a house. Start from the ground up. Check where your inner rocker, kick panel, and lower A pilar sandwich together. That is a very common spot that rust out. I think working from inside out will be best. I did not do this but wish I did floor pans then inner rocker and then kick panel. I think things will stay lined up better this way.

2. I would not drive it with just sheet metal screws. Others might say different.

3. I would want all exterior panels on hand. That way you can have things like inner fenders core support screwed together and test fit exterior panels. Once they fit to your likes remove then and weld everything up.

4. All the after market parts I have ordered seem to need some trimming and massaging. As far as return I'm not sure but I just try and make it work because shipping in my case is almost as much as the parts I order.

Others that have way more knowledge than me will chime in.

Welcome AJ.

I just replaced floor pans on my 67, and then moved on to patch a section of drivers kick panel, finishing with a Drivers door post.

Jason has given you a good plan. Don't drive it with just screws in place!

Body mounts, replace on section at a time (if possible), be systematic, work from the bottom up, take your time, take measurements and pictures before for reference. Ask questions...
There are a lot of people here that are ready to help...

Doug

Cortez

Bronco Guru
I just learned about the snowball effect. It goes a little something like this...wanted to replace springs and keep driving while I did sheet metal. Cut off old springs install new rears, moved the axle back an inch for better fit...oops driveshaft is too short now need a new one...oops dual exhaust doesn’t fit with new springs need the new 2 into1 exhaust...but my headers are crap...need new headers now while I am at it...had the tank dropped so might as well remove and replace quarters so I don’t have to drop the tank later again when I weld...well gotta do the rockers so might as well do them now too or I will have to drop the tank again later. Good luck trying to restore it while you drive it...That was my plan too but now look at me.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I just learned about the snowball effect. It goes a little something like this...wanted to replace springs and keep driving while I did sheet metal. Cut off old springs install new rears, moved the axle back an inch for better fit...oops driveshaft is too short now need a new one...oops dual exhaust doesn’t fit with new springs need the new 2 into1 exhaust...but my headers are crap...need new headers now while I am at it...had the tank dropped so might as well remove and replace quarters so I don’t have to drop the tank later again when I weld...well gotta do the rockers so might as well do them now too or I will have to drop the tank again later. Good luck trying to restore it while you drive it...That was my plan too but now look at me.

lmao almost exactly what I did for the last 6 months +add, long arms, front locker, springs, new fenders and new paint to the list. just don't add up all the $$%)