• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Looking for a 302 for my 71. Where to start?

Young Army Vet

Loc.
Ft Bragg
All,

I'm new to the site and just retired from Active Duty and bought my first real toy or should I say my awesome wife bought me a 71 Bronco last month. Truck is in great shape and has been sitting in a barn for 5 years. The engine is what's the problem. It currently has a Ford 302 in it but I'm wondering if I should look at paying someone to rebuilding it or buy a crate motor? Should I ask my trusty mechanic to try and see if he can atleast get it running?

Any good engine sites to look at?

Thanks!

YAV

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
Welcome to the site. many broncos start out like yours so we are all very familiar. I would start with having your mechanic give it a good tune up. This will cost a few hundred but its much better than paying $1,500 for a rebuild.

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
Buy a book or two so you can do basic troubleshooting. Start with a Compression Test. That engine may prove to be fine for many more miles. Dont start throwing money at it to fix problems it may not have.
Are you still in the Guard or Reserve? Base Auto Hobby Shops are low priced places to work / learn. They have mechanics to advise and or guide you. They have lots of tools to use, you just sign them out. I also always had guys come over and offer to help every time I had my Bronco in there. That is a benifit you are entitled to if you are still a member. Welcome to the sight and thank you for your service HOOAH!!

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
Just drop a 351 in it;D

you guy's need to loose this 351 crap.a good running 302 is better than a 351.every time someone gets on here asking some of right away think the only fix is to hack things up.i have put up with these pieces of shit 351's since 1979.you loose milage,gain heating problems.money better spent is just get a 5.0 or re-build that 302.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think the 351 talk is more joking around at this point although I did fall into that trap, see my shortbloack for sale...

302 is the way to go in this machine, 351 buys you lots of problems.

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
I'd get your stock 302 a good tune up and get it running. May be absolutely nothing wrong with it aside from sitting for so long. Check the fuel, lines and carb and clean as necessary. If it doesn't smoke, knock or leak like a sieve then you got a runner! While getting familiar w/ it, look for a nice '88-'93 Mustang 5.0 to drop in w/ MAF EFI down the road...

My $.02...
Fungus

Nightstick

Bronco guy
you guy's need to loose this 351 crap.a good running 302 is better than a 351.every time someone gets on here asking some of right away think the only fix is to hack things up.i have put up with these pieces of shit 351's since 1979.you loose milage,gain heating problems.money better spent is just get a 5.0 or re-build that 302.

Dang, I was just throwin a new idea at the guy. I wouldn't consider something hacked up simply because it has a different engine in it. All the problems you speak of can be solved (with the exception of maybe fuel mileage) and in the end you get a stronger motor in my opinion. If you suggested putting a straight six in it I wouldn't attack your idea. We all have preferences and I was simply offering mine.

OP
OP
Young Army Vet

Young Army Vet

Loc.
Ft Bragg
Not sure.. I know I don't even have an ignition switch. I need a new wiring harness. i have the original Spedo. Thinking I'm going to do as much stuff by myself and enjoy the ride.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
You can buy keyed ignition switches from LMC. Choice is yours as far as wiring goes. Painless and Centech both make great harnesses. If you're interested in building your own motor and wanna keep it a 302 I'd go with an explorer or mustang 5.0. Cash for clunkers has made the explorer motors pretty abundant.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Not sure.. I know I don't even have an ignition switch. I need a new wiring harness. i have the original Spedo. Thinking I'm going to do as much stuff by myself and enjoy the ride.

Definitely the way to roll. Centech makes a great harness for these that is pretty easy to install. There arent alot of extra circuits for lots of extra stuff, but there are enough...and personally, most aftermarket stuff I run, I use a direct line from the battery (or additional junction box) and use relays and in-line fuses. There are other wiring harness options, but the Centech is a nice piece at a reasonable price-point. You can do a search on them (above) and find some additional info, upgrades, etc. I added several more weather-pak connectors to mine and used them throughout the truck. Everything becomes a bit more modular and when you need to do maintenance, tear into something or upgrade some other piece, you dont have to hack up the wiring, just disconnect the connector and wire your new connector up for your additional piece or upgrade.

As far as the motor, I agree with the others. Find out whats wrong first, get it on the road if possible and begin the "bonding" process before you start to get too many ideas about what you think you want/need. Chances are good that your ignition system or carb may need some work. I dont recall what year they started putting in the Ford Duraspark II, but its a good, dependable ignition system that you can find parts for anywhere...so that would be something to consider if yours still has points...guessing that it may already be electronic ignition though.

Rebuilding the carb is pretty easy to do. As these things sit, the fuel turns to crap, so you may have junk gas in the tank...and in the carb. So, cleaning both may be a good idea. It may take a couple of days to go through and get everything tuned up, tightened and the fluids changed--all of them--just a good idea and its a great introduction to the vehicle. The Haynes and CHiltons manuals are both handy and can be picked up on Amazon (older Haynes covers just Broncos, whereas newer one covers multi years of truck and Broncos) or at your local autoparts store...if they dont have them in stock, they can get them within a couple of days.

NOW, IF you find out that there really are motor problems. Then consider finding a late model 5.0 (with EFI) and make the jump to fuel injection. For Explorers and Merc Mountaineers are good choices, Town cars and Crown vics can also still be found with low mileage. Mustangs, are the obvious choice, but many have high miles on the motor...but would make a great canditate for a rebuild and donor (of just about everything). As well, you COULD buy just baout everything aftermarket and spend alot of money. Finding a donor is a good idea. However, you can get the engine harness through FMS and several other vendors sell aftermarket EFI harnesses or rebuild stock harness (removing uncessary stuff and upgrading). This is a great upgrade....not something you have to do, but the truck will run better, burn cleaner and get better mileage, which will be pretty miserable by the way...in case you didnt know, the Bronco was not endowed with optimal aerodynamics...but they are pretty freakin awesome and a whole lot of fun!

Good luck and have fun.

John

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Definitely the way to roll. Centech makes a great harness for these that is pretty easy to install. There arent alot of extra circuits for lots of extra stuff, but there are enough...and personally, most aftermarket stuff I run, I use a direct line from the battery (or additional junction box) and use relays and in-line fuses. There are other wiring harness options, but the Centech is a nice piece at a reasonable price-point. You can do a search on them (above) and find some additional info, upgrades, etc. I added several more weather-pak connectors to mine and used them throughout the truck. Everything becomes a bit more modular and when you need to do maintenance, tear into something or upgrade some other piece, you dont have to hack up the wiring, just disconnect the connector and wire your new connector up for your additional piece or upgrade.

As far as the motor, I agree with the others. Find out whats wrong first, get it on the road if possible and begin the "bonding" process before you start to get too many ideas about what you think you want/need. Chances are good that your ignition system or carb may need some work. I dont recall what year they started putting in the Ford Duraspark II, but its a good, dependable ignition system that you can find parts for anywhere...so that would be something to consider if yours still has points...guessing that it may already be electronic ignition though.

Rebuilding the carb is pretty easy to do. As these things sit, the fuel turns to crap, so you may have junk gas in the tank...and in the carb. So, cleaning both may be a good idea. It may take a couple of days to go through and get everything tuned up, tightened and the fluids changed--all of them--just a good idea and its a great introduction to the vehicle. The Haynes and CHiltons manuals are both handy and can be picked up on Amazon (older Haynes covers just Broncos, whereas newer one covers multi years of truck and Broncos) or at your local autoparts store...if they dont have them in stock, they can get them within a couple of days.

NOW, IF you find out that there really are motor problems. Then consider finding a late model 5.0 (with EFI) and make the jump to fuel injection. For Explorers and Merc Mountaineers are good choices, Town cars and Crown vics can also still be found with low mileage. Mustangs, are the obvious choice, but many have high miles on the motor...but would make a great canditate for a rebuild and donor (of just about everything). As well, you COULD buy just baout everything aftermarket and spend alot of money. Finding a donor is a good idea. However, you can get the engine harness through FMS and several other vendors sell aftermarket EFI harnesses or rebuild stock harness (removing uncessary stuff and upgrading). This is a great upgrade....not something you have to do, but the truck will run better, burn cleaner and get better mileage, which will be pretty miserable by the way...in case you didnt know, the Bronco was not endowed with optimal aerodynamics...but they are pretty freakin awesome and a whole lot of fun!

Good luck and have fun.

John

Ummm, yeah what he said... Hey trailpsycho I'm gonna be in Brownsburg at the end of October, ya think I could swing by and drool over your rig?

OP
OP
Young Army Vet

Young Army Vet

Loc.
Ft Bragg
It's running. To my Bronco to a good ol boy garage down the street and they got it to crank and run. Dropped the fuel tank and cleaned it out. Put new oil/plugs and wires in, added some other small parts and the stock wiring haress and it fired right up! At first there was no oil pressure. After further troubleshooting the folks that rebuilt the engine put the Oil pump in up side down. Now it has awesome pressure and cranks on the very first turn of they key. Off to get an aluminum radiator to keep that engine cool.

Thanks for all your help. Should be on the road sooner than I thought!

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
It's running. To my Bronco to a good ol boy garage down the street and they got it to crank and run. Dropped the fuel tank and cleaned it out. Put new oil/plugs and wires in, added some other small parts and the stock wiring haress and it fired right up! At first there was no oil pressure. After further troubleshooting the folks that rebuilt the engine put the Oil pump in up side down. Now it has awesome pressure and cranks on the very first turn of they key. Off to get an aluminum radiator to keep that engine cool.

Thanks for all your help. Should be on the road sooner than I thought!

Did someone take a picture of the upside down oil pump? I'd have to see that to believe it.