• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Looking for a Trail compressor.

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I recently started looking for a trail compressor and I spotted this yesterday at Sam's Club.

http://www.samsclub.com:80/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod1510562&navAction=push

Its a combo unit with compressor, Jump Box , AC outlet, light and even a USB plug for your dead cell phone or Ipod. It looks like it would work pretty good. My only concern is if it can handle airing up 4 35's. Curious if anyone else has one.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
The compressor inside is probably going to die quickly if you try to take 4 35s from 5 to 20 psi. I'd get a separate compressor; preferrably an OE off a Land Rover since they have higher volume than those used on Fords or other domestics. The aftermarket compressors are probably even better, but they're also a LOT more $$$. If you have room on the engine, a junkyard A/C compressor will be the best investment since you can replace it when it wears out for less than that jump box combo will cost, and it'll put out more volume than any 12V compressor. There are articles all over the interweb about how to convert them and make them last.

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
Dpending on how long you want to wait, as the smaller compressors take ALOT longer to inflate a larger tire. I use the York A/C compressor to fill my tires. I also have an ARB compressor as a backup. The arb runs the lockers, but is capable of airing up tires as well.

Brianut

Interesting, yesterday after a trail run there were 3 diff compressors used.
all generic brands.
one from a Slime repair kit, another a Harbor fright and the 3rd was a 4wheel parts no name.
they all seemed to work well, were small in size and according to the owners cheap.

I have thought about buying one of the high dollar fast ones but if you are with a group and everyone else is airing slow then you dont save much time as the group still takes awhile to air up.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
I bought a good SEARS one that is similar, it has lasted well for the ocassional use. It has a decent light, great at jump starting, built in compressor, etc. I am not sure about filling 4 35 inch tires though.

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
Here is an awsome little air compressor http://www.amazon.com/Master-Flow-MF-1050-Portable-Compressor/dp/B000L9AD2U . I had one in my jeep and will put one in my bronco. I mounted it under the hood and hard wired it it. Worked great and could take all 4 35" tires from 8psi to 35 psi in about 10 minutes.

Henry

They were intially sold thru Checker auto. A good little compressor. I have two fo them still that I use in various vehicles. I don't know about airing up 35's as well as you say, but they are dependable.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Here is an awsome little air compressor http://www.amazon.com/Master-Flow-MF-1050-Portable-Compressor/dp/B000L9AD2U . I had one in my jeep and will put one in my bronco. I mounted it under the hood and hard wired it it. Worked great and could take all 4 35" tires from 8psi to 35 psi in about 10 minutes.

I've got one of these mounted under hood on driver's inner fender. Got it at Pep Boys for $69. Did some mods to make it fit. Took off the handle. Blocked outlet where hose is in pic and have air hose on outlet where gauge is in pic. It supplies air for front ARB and fillings tires. Got an air tank mounted under passenger floorboard. Filling tires goes faster if you have a tank located in the air system.

wpaeb

Loc.
Clarion ,PA

Henry

I have this compressor also. I have 39" tires and it works well. I'd guess about 5 minutes a tire. It will also fill my 5 gallon air tank to 125psi in 10 minutes.