• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Looking for opinion on steering column

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Are you talking about a manual or automatic? Few people want a three on a tree.

OP
OP
C

chriskent85

auto.

was also thinking about getting the GM column with the keyed ignition in the column, I know it will have a gm key but that really isnt that big of a deal to me.

TiltCSIgnition_Chrome.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/33-Chrome-Stainless-Tilt-Steering-Column-Automatic-Shift-Gm-Key-Ignition-Switch-/191778712825?hash=item2ca6e6ecf9:m:m_O0mlvAubohhr-0SMNM0Fw&vxp=mtr

Selena raines

Following. I'm converting mine to automatic, and would like to leave it on the column. This option is much cheaper than what I have seen from the stock suppliers. Anyone have input?

OP
OP
C

chriskent85

I ended up going the the gm column that doesn't have the key switch in it. It doesn't matter to me that it has a gm 9 bolt steering wheel because I had to buy another one anyways. Gonna get a billed wheel. I didn't want to deal with wiring up the ignition on the column.

Big One

Loc.
Bartlesville, Ok
I ended up going the the gm column that doesn't have the key switch in it. It doesn't matter to me that it has a gm 9 bolt steering wheel because I had to buy another one anyways. Gonna get a billed wheel. I didn't want to deal with wiring up the ignition on the column.

what are you going to do with your old tilt column?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I'm pretty sure summit sells a gm tilt auto sift colum for 300. I was looking at it for my auto swap on the 72

doghows72

Bronco Guru
I have that column in my bronco. I didn't do the key switch though. All in all its a good column but you get what you pay for. There is a little play in the tilt mechanism and less expensive plastic parts inside so if you're gonna wheel your rig don't buy it. Mines a street rig so no excess stress or strain holding on to it.
If you switching from a Ididit column to this one you'll hate it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 67

Twidgeon

Doghows72 do you have a purchase list? I'm switching to the Auto column shifter and will need everything up to my manual gear box. Thanks

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Save yourself the hassle and the time and order a kit from Paul at WH. By the time you round everything up and get all the extra stuff to make it work in the bronco, I saved maybe $100 and the column quality isn't as good as the Ididit ones.
But after you pick your column, you will need the 2" column mount braket, the firewall 2" seal, the 2" dash cover, and a new colapsable steering shaft to connect that new column to your existing box. All the extra parts you will be buying from WH anyway so just call WH and get the right kit for your rig.
Good luck either way you go. I. Not disappointed in my choice but if I had to do it over again I'd spend the extra $100.

Imhisnibbs

Anybody looked at the Helix? Bad review in 2013 but they claim they improved QV in Chine $160 on eBay..... junk?