• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Looking for tip/trick for interior door handle install

Jp76

Loc.
Cave Creek, AZ
So I got all the new door innards put in and am shaving the new plastic door handle cup to fit the new door panels, but after the panel is in and the door cup gets snapped into place, the actual door handle tongue needs to go under the "lever" or actuator inside the door. This is spring loaded obviously so that when you pull the handle in, it pops the lever inside the door up, which releases the latch so the door will unlatch and open.

Anyone have a magic way to get the door handle tongue to slide under the inner spring loaded lever? With the panel installed there is no way to manually hold the lever up while sliding the handle tongue in and under. It seem easy but.....

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
It sounds like your insert isn't seated correctly because its pretty easy to get the handle in.

Are your panels pleaded vinyl with the silver trim piece? If so, you need to cut way further up than you might think to get the insert to pop in place.

If the insert is seated and the panel is in the right spot, it's really just a matter of sticking the tongue part of the handle in and starting the screws.

OP
OP
Jp76

Jp76

Loc.
Cave Creek, AZ
Thanks - yeah I need to do more trimming I think, but just the door cutout (metal) is a little small itself. I bought the panels with black pleats and woodgrain = looks totally cool but is a pain in the arse. Once I get my dremel out to trim the cup, I will post back. Thanks!

PaveBronco

I had to wrap a loop of wire around the inside door lever and pull it up while I put the latch in and screwed it down. After that I pulled on one side of the wire to pull it off.
Hope that helps.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I had to trim way more than I thought at the top.

Thanks - yeah I need to do more trimming I think, but just the door cutout (metal) is a little small itself. I bought the panels with black pleats and woodgrain = looks totally cool but is a pain in the arse. Once I get my dremel out to trim the cup, I will post back. Thanks!

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Yeah get as much material off behind the door cup. You need the panel, cup and handle bracket sandwiched together tightly to get it installed. Keep the interior handle in the closed position and push down hard and start the nuts. It should put that finger underneath the lever but check that it engages before tightening the nuts down completely

I just did mine and had to cut the vinyl and the foam to get them on

Attachments

• 20181222_132133.jpg
    20181222_132133.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 20181222_144707.jpg
    20181222_144707.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
Jp76

Jp76

Loc.
Cave Creek, AZ
Yeah get as much material off behind the door cup. You need the panel, cup and handle bracket sandwiched together tightly to get it installed. Keep the interior handle in the closed position and push down hard and start the nuts. It should put that finger underneath the lever but check that it engages before tightening the nuts down completely

I just did mine and had to cut the vinyl and the foam to get them on
\

Awesome - thanks. you would think they would make cups that work with these panels, or that the panel-makers would compensate for the cups - either way. My plan is to dremel off some of the bevel and then start cutting off the top of the cup until I get the fit right. Appreciate all of the help!

OP
OP
Jp76

Jp76

Loc.
Cave Creek, AZ
Complete! after a bunch of trimming I did get the cups to snap in and the inner handles did slide in, in the closed position, then tightened the nuts while firmly holding the handle in the closed position.

Thanks for everyone's input! I would post pics but dont think I can at my "level".