• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Looking to Buy '66 Bronco & Need Some Info

nolimits76

Hey all, new to the forum. And hoping you can help me. Been a long time fan of the 66-77 Broncos. Unfortunately outside of liking their looks, I don't have much knowledge on the different builds, options, etc.

As it turns out, one of my best friend's dad has decided to sell his '66 Bronco. He is not in a hurry, I've got dibs on it. It does need work. Been about a year or two since I last saw it, and then the passenger side floor pan needed cut & replaced. Otherwise, no cancer. Interior needs gutted. It runs, but needs a tune up. As I recall it has the 289. Also, I believe it had a snow plow connection on the front. It has the hard top. Color is greenish.

For sure a project, but it does run & drive and the price seems right at $1,500. I doubt I will ever find a better deal. I presume you would agree?

If I get it, I would like to convert to a daily driver and use for occasional weekend offroad trips. So a mild lift, some mud tires, roll bars, upgraded front & rear bumpers, etc. Of course, all these things would come after I get it mechanically sound.

I am more worried about good breaks & suspension. Making it rock solid dependable. And getting the a/c working. A must for southern summers when it's not unusual to reach 100+ degree temps. I say that. But probably like when I had my Jeep years back, I will run topless with the a/c blasting.

Anyhow, I realize most first years lack all the best features. Just curious where I start with such a project. Any websites, tips, etc. would be most appreciated. This will be my first build of this type, so I will definitely needs lots of help and guidance along the way.

Looking forward to your comments.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Welcome to the site. As for websites you have just found the best for early Broncos. On the other stuff there are many many threads on the site that will answer your questions, so I would suggest searching and reading. You will be able to find many directions to go. And post up pictures we love to look at everyones truck!

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
+1 on using the Search function here

For each specific thing you've mentioned in your inquiry, there are thread after thread after thread already discussed in detail on this site over the years.

Just type in the issue you have questions about ("lift," "brakes," "a/c," and so on) into the Search box, and you'll have hours of reading material right in front of you.

Once you get started, you can also post your own build thread with photos.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
The great thing about early Broncos is you can add any of the features from later years very easily - power steering and a power disk brake upgrade are musts if you want to DD it! BTW $1500 sounds like a great deal for a running and relatively rust free Bronco.

t120r

If you are interested, I have the `66 wiring diagrams redrawn to be more readable. The `67 diagrams floating around were nowher near correct for my '66.

OP
OP
nolimits76

nolimits76

If you are interested, I have the `66 wiring diagrams redrawn to be more readable. The `67 diagrams floating around were nowher near correct for my '66.

Very interested. I can shoot you a PM with my email, unless you have them loaded on the web somewhere where I can download them. Let me know.

Thanks! :)

t120r

Actually they are autocad drawings. Easy to save em as a JPG or whatever. PM me an email addy and I'll fire over the 2 I have done. The 3rd is a nightmare, but it's 90% done.

OP
OP
nolimits76

nolimits76

Actually they are autocad drawings. Easy to save em as a JPG or whatever. PM me an email addy and I'll fire over the 2 I have done. The 3rd is a nightmare, but it's 90% done.

Thanks, I just saw this. Just PM'd you my email addy. FYI, I also run ACAD. Great for many things, I love it!