• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Love my Diesel Bronco

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. SO most of you know I have the 4BT Cummins diesel in my 72 Bronco. Mine is mostly used around the farm almost as a service vehicle & Mine & Taco's ride to the pasture to check cows each evening
. Well I could never get the gas motor to not be burning in in 20 minutes. & It's gas mileage was only about 4 mpg idling around like I do.
...So I found the diesel about 10 years ago. Installed it &man I like this thing.
Most of the folks on the 4BTSWAPS.COM sight all said they get 25 to 32 mpg wow that would be an improvement. Maybe some do but bot mine.
.. So I FILLED Mine up this morning . I think my tank holds about 12G. So I keep a saddle tank in my diesel pickup for tractors & Bronco. I don't even take it to town to get fuel. SO I rigged myself up a pump to pull fuel from my pickup tank & into my Bronco. I Used a stock 12V lift pump mounted it on my headake rack . & I can transfer fuel from the saddle into my Bronco. & The reason I used the stock lift pump is just in case we take my Bronco out to New Mexico ranch & my lift pump went out I can just drop one hose into the tank & connect the filter line into the Injection pump & back on the trail in 15 minutes.
.... I realize my rig is not for every one but it sure fits Pa Pitt's farm.
& When I put fuel in it my gauge doesn't work So I keep a log on the dash in a note pad.
I had 144 mile on it tooling around the farm. According to my log last time I put fuel in it was 10/16/16 ..I put between 10 & 12 gallon of fuel in it. That from 12 to 14 MPG. Ain't bad in my mind.
.. & I don't even have a fan blade on the WP Pulley just a belt around it all. But I do have an electric fan on a toggle switch. Some of these days I've got to get it on a sensor. But when & if it gets to 200 I just flip the toggle & in about 2 minutes it's down to about 120.

Attachments

• DSCN6676.jpg
    DSCN6676.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 160
  • DSCN6674.jpg
    DSCN6674.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 167
  • DSCN6673.jpg
    DSCN6673.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 169

sbowenjr

I would like to see the entire bronco. What a great idea. I never thought of a diesel engine in one. I know the rumored new bronco (small size) was said to have been tested with a diesel. I wish they would have come out with one but I went ahead and
bought a power wagon so I would not be able to afford the payment now. But who knows what the future holds???

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. ok I'll fine a couple of pictures ...

Attachments

• DSCN6453.jpg
    DSCN6453.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 20151004_150853 2.jpg
    20151004_150853 2.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 20150926_115104.jpg
    20150926_115104.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 96
OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
OK I'LL GIVE A LITTLE HISTORY ON MY Bronco ..2ND PICTURE IS IT WORKING DRAGGING A Harrow smoothing a filed .. 2nd is fueling another tractor with More Diesel.
See the onboard air hose reel . 25ft of air hose man that is handy.
... I didn't know how to paint it so it would not get all scratched up & ruin a high dollar paint job . So I came up with that skin. IT had a 5 year warranty but it's been on for about 9 years now . Still no scratches . It's a 3M product call Camo Clad. worked out great. & Cost about $500.00 All the black is Brush On Gater Guard bed liner . Some of the other Black is PLASTIKOTE. SPRAY Bed Liner .

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
PaPitt your harrow picture made me smile. In the past I've used my 74, but she's down.

I did my pastures tonight and was going to use my 70 instead. After driving it yesterday with the worn out seats I just didn't want to be bouncing around my rough fields with springs hanging out.

I had my version of Taco riding in the back of my truck. She loves to go for rides. About dark the coyotes got to howling and set her off to barking. A quick no bark and all was good. I think she just wanted to remind them to stay away.

That was a pretty cheap paint job. That's a great thought for my trail rig.

A diesel would be nice.