• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lower Steering column bell rebuild?

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a problem with a manual steering column where the lower shaft connects to the steering box. The bell shaped end has a lot of play in it where the lower shaft slides into it. Can these be rebuilt, and if so..how do I get it apart and what and where can I obtain the parts? Thanks and let me know.

Blue71

Dusty

Bronco Guru
I'm not aware of anyone who sells new components for the bell joint, but your best bet would be to check with JBG or Tom's. If you want a used one, we might have one laying around that's still serviceable. Really though you should probably think about upgrading to a quality u-joint, like the ones from Flaming River that we carry. You'll need a 3/4"-36spline by either 3/4" round or 3/4" DD. You would use the 3/4" round if you want to weld it to the shaft, or use the 3/4" DD if you want to grind flats into the shaft and use a set screw. BTW, not a bad time to upgrade to power steering!

Dusty

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I bought a rebuild kit from one of the vendors it came with the square peices that fit on the pins, springs and a new boot. It was cheap too. I just can't remember where I bought it right now. It may have been dennis carpenter.