• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

luminescent gauge pannel instal

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Take out the cluster, unbolt each of the original gauges, use some epoxy to glue them on (dont forget which ones go where ;D . Also try not to get the epoxy all over as you slip it over the needles. The speedo is convex so there is a little bit of massaging to get it to sit right. I Got mine on then flipped it over onto a large mouthed cup (big enough to go over the needle) then stacked a bunch of weight on top and left it for a couple hours to dry. Then route the wires out of the old light holes. I love the luminescent panel, it looks really good but still vintage.

Hawkdoc

Can you still adjust how bright the light is like the old cluster?

Hawkdoc

Hawkdoc

So the dimmer on the light switch no longer controls it and you install another switch then?

Hawkdoc

OP
OP
C

california.camo

Loc.
Alta Loma, Ca.
this was my first thread but it wont be my last, you guys didnt disappoint. alright so after i get my gauges all mounted and cluster all put back together, how easy is the wiring? keep in mind that im not an electrician.

OP
OP
C

california.camo

Loc.
Alta Loma, Ca.
tito, the main speedo gauge (convexed surface) is riveted in place, and there are plastic tabs on the new luminesent panels that seem they should be benieth the rivets, or r they just to line it up correctly.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I just used them to line them up correctly. I guess if you wanted to drill out the rivets and put some new ones in that would work but I didnt, just lined it up.

OP
OP
C

california.camo

Loc.
Alta Loma, Ca.
after i get my gauges all mounted and cluster all put back together, how easy is the wiring? keep in mind that im not an electrician. my gauges r looking good B.T.W. thanks to ur help.

Hawkdoc

Get a pic of it going together if you get a chance. That way I can see what i am getting into....

Hawkdoc

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
after i get my gauges all mounted and cluster all put back together, how easy is the wiring? keep in mind that im not an electrician. my gauges r looking good B.T.W. thanks to ur help.

Wiring is super simple, do you have the directions packet? They were decent if I remember. Glad to hear it is going well, it is a cool upgrade! Hardest part was determining where to mount the switch.

OP
OP
C

california.camo

Loc.
Alta Loma, Ca.
they didnt send me any directions! you dont have yours on hand by chance do you? maybe you could fax them over to california, or scan and e mail?

Last edited:

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
All my stuff is packed up right now, living out of storage currently till our house is done. Who did you get it from? It should have come with a directions packet. Maybe someone on here has a copy.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
If I remember right it just needed a ground and then tap in off the light switch blue with red stripe wire (the one that loops to each of the dash lights on the speedo). Instructions also say to be sure the attenuator on the light switch is at the highest point otherwise it can ruin the controller.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
Ok, don't hook the power to the original dash lights that are able to dim through the original HL switch. Hook the power to the parking light circuit. That way you can still dim the dome light or at least still use it and not damage the panel.

I removed the original rivets that held the speedo face plate to the assembly and replaced them with a small nut and bolt combo. THEY CANNOT BE VERY LONG though since they will bottom out on the other gauges when you mount the speedo assembly back in the cluster. Ask me how I know.

As for the switch, I have it temporarily mounted by the e-brake release handle bottom of the dash. I am going to remove the dimmer knob and mount it to one of the original speedo mount holes and enlarge the hole in the dash so it pokes through. I am just going to cut the metal around the blue/green switch and zip tie the switch and harness to the rest of the wiring harness behind the dash. I am going with green for color right now and it really doesn't need to be switched all the time. Plus the switch housing looks like a k-mart special jeep fog light switch.

OP
OP
C

california.camo

Loc.
Alta Loma, Ca.
alright i did it! it looked great mounted everything up... happy with my work.... wait? what the f'.... my alternator pannel isnt glowing. i tried everythong (changing wires around, playing with it, i even flicked the glass a couple of times) at least its just the alt. if it were any of the other panels id really be screwed. if i have to take that cluster a part again im just driving the whole freakin truck to pick-a-part