• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

M416 Build

knack

Contributor
I've started reworking an old M416 military trailer to use as a utility/camping rig behind my Bronco. Hauling firewood and other supplies around the cabin will be its main job for now. In the future - maybe set up more for camping with a tent platform, etc. Who knows?

When I bought the trailer it was in pretty good shape considering its age. Not sure when it was built - 1960's probably? It came with a few dents, some surface rust, and a bit of rust in the frame above one of the spring shackle mounts. It didn't have some of the stuff a restorer would want to see - no data plate, or lunette, military wiring missing. The hand brake setup is complete; not sure if I'll use it.

At this point, the trailer has been disassembled, sandblasted, and primed. The rusty metal in the frame removed, but not patched yet. Purists might cringe, but I cut out the back for a tailgate. The trailer won't float now, but neither does the Bronco. The gate is made from the cut section of the box, flipped around and reinforced with 12 ga square tube. I started out planning to hinge it from the bottom, then switched it to the side to make unloading easier.

If anyone here has experience with these things, please chime in with suggestions, warnings, parts sources, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_1311.jpg
    IMG_1311.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1313.jpg
    IMG_1313.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1314.jpg
    IMG_1314.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1317.jpg
    IMG_1317.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1322.jpg
    IMG_1322.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 150

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Awesome, I have been waiting to see a trailer thread. Would like to see a trailer section seperate but I am not sure we can support a seperate section. Maybe a sub section in chat similar to "Politics". These trailers are awesome and I know the FJ 40 guys all build them for camping rigs and alot put gates on them as well. Can't wait to see this build continue. Always keeping my eye out for the right deal on one, but they have their own cult following and are getting rare as well.

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
These are great trailers to tow behind the Bronco and will go anywhere. If you Google M416 you find everything from a parts interchange list to the original military manual that can be downloaded. If you run large tires on your Bronco you can do an easy spring over on the trailer which will give plenty of room for the bigger tires. I run 35's on my Bronco and trailer with the Bronco spare being the spare for both. I am now designing a hinged top for my trailer as I am going to mount a Roof Top Tent to mine. Check out Expedition Portal (the trailer section) for ideas on modifications. Some people fashion their M416's after the Adventure Trailers Chaser model which is modern version of the M416. I like the Lunette Eye that came with mine for off road use and you quickly learn tricks for backing up the trailer.

M416s are like Broncos.....some are stock and some get modified to the owners taste. Have fun and keep posting pics of your progress.

OP
OP
K

knack

Contributor
These are great trailers to tow behind the Bronco and will go anywhere. If you Google M416 you find everything from a parts interchange list to the original military manual that can be downloaded. If you run large tires on your Bronco you can do an easy spring over on the trailer which will give plenty of room for the bigger tires. I run 35's on my Bronco and trailer with the Bronco spare being the spare for both. I am now designing a hinged top for my trailer as I am going to mount a Roof Top Tent to mine. Check out Expedition Portal (the trailer section) for ideas on modifications. Some people fashion their M416's after the Adventure Trailers Chaser model which is modern version of the M416. I like the Lunette Eye that came with mine for off road use and you quickly learn tricks for backing up the trailer.

M416s are like Broncos.....some are stock and some get modified to the owners taste. Have fun and keep posting pics of your progress.

Thanks for the info. Post some pics of your trailer sometime.

Scrapper_MV

Your project looks great. I really want to do one too. I just wish I could find one for sale near me!

OP
OP
K

knack

Contributor
Your project looks great. I really want to do one too. I just wish I could find one for sale near me!

Thanks!
It took me about a year to find one of these things sort of locally (250 miles away.) The good news is that they will fit inside the box of a full size pickup. I was even able to close the tailgate.

bptommy

Loc.
Arlington, TX
great project Ive been looking at those trailers for awhile now, please keep us updated on your progress maybe some action shots of it behind the bronco when your finished. ;D

I would also be intrested in how you use it while camping (how it worked out) and any mods you make it for it..;D

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
I have camped with mine for 14 years, it keeps the bronco clear of stuff. I use a tarp made for it to protect what's in it. On remote camping I take a folding table, a roll up table, big cooler, tents, chairs, around 20 gallons of water for desert trips, and the rest of the usual camping stuff. We are able to set up a "base camp" and then explore the surrounding area around the campsite. I often keep it loaded ready to go at a moments notice.

OP
OP
K

knack

Contributor
Made some progress recently: Fabricated a latch for the tailgate. Along with holding the gate shut, it will also help keep the sides of the trailer from spreading. I first thought about using one or two toggle latches, but decided to keep it simple - and cheap. The U-shaped part of the latch was formed from a 2 X 2 X 1/8 piece of angle iron.
The frame had rust in a couple spots where there were layers of sheet metal, like where the inner fender meets the kick panel on a Bronco. I fabricated a few patches and welded them in. The frame will probably rust again in the same places, but if it takes as long as it did the first time I won't be around to worry about it.
I also re-packed the wheel bearings and removed the parking brakes. The brake cable was rusted, and the lever also needed work. For my use, I don't think the brakes will be important, so they went in a box. The brake drums are easy enough to remove; just need to knock out the wheel studs.
The wheels have been cleaned up and painted to match the rims on the Bronco. No long, high speed trips planned for a while, so the original (slightly rotted) military non-directional tires are being re-mounted with new tubes. Should be OK for a few years.

Attachments

• IMG_1434.jpg
    IMG_1434.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1332.jpg
    IMG_1332.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1443.jpg
    IMG_1443.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1444.jpg
    IMG_1444.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1435.jpg
    IMG_1435.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1436.jpg
    IMG_1436.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1437.jpg
    IMG_1437.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1333.jpg
    IMG_1333.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1438.jpg
    IMG_1438.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 100

gritz

This is looking good. I would like to build one to go with my 78 camper bronco. Great Job

Tom Dummer

Loc.
Scappoose, Or
OP
OP
K

knack

Contributor
I built the whole thing using a tortional axle for ground clearance.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e94/ImBentAgain/Dusy1.jpg

Used it this way for 5 yrs, now its a tilt.
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e94/ImBentAgain/?action=view&current=P2080008.flv

I reinforced the back of the trailer by adding a brace that extends past the end of the bed and triagulating back to the side. The tailgate is not enough to prevent cracking.

Great looking trailer. I love the dump box!
Thanks for the tip on the bracing.
What are you running for a coupler? I was thinking of a Lock and Roll.

Tom Dummer

Loc.
Scappoose, Or
Last edited:
OP
OP
K

knack

Contributor
Making progress, slowly. Assembled the trailer over the weekend so I could check the tongue height against the receiver hitch on the Bronco. They lined right up. Amazing. I must have carefully planned that when I built the bumper 15 years ago.
Now it's time to finish up the trailer tongue and mount a hitch.

Attachments

• IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 119