• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Main Fuel Tank Help

richparsonsx

Hey everyone, need some help with my fuel system.

ran out of gas on my Aux tank the other day which I was using just for running around and switched my valve over and pumped a couple times and got it to start but it quickly died, bowl was dry, pumping was not squirting fuel into carb.

I am thinking I have a clog somewhere in my line between the valve and the tank. Where can I get a new line? I know my sending units are both bunk as my gauges don't work, but that shouldn't matter for pullin fuel.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

moe d

Loc.
chicago, il
i used some new hard line that i bought on ebay or jegs/ summit racing, JBG, TBP also sells new sending units for both tanks

Trapperbob10

One thing to make sure of is that the selector switch under the seat is in the correct position. I have seen aftermarket manual valves that were plumbed so that the main/aux select positions were different from the original.

Trap

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
If you have a electricly switched tank valve and you put fuel in the wrong tank it won't start,to fix it add fuel to other tank and it should start then switch to main tank and it should keep runing. If you have a electric valve it works on a eltro-magnet and while trying to start there's no power to make it work and its stays in a at rest position,or still sucking out of the other tank. If wired backwards the valve thinks the aux tank is the main,you want the main tank plumbed to the at rest side of the valve and add fuel when empty to that tank to start.

Bartonatl

Loc.
Atlanta
Before you buy anything, figure out what the problem is. You say you know you have fuel when running the aux tank and when you switched to the main tank, it got no fuel. Right? #1) take out the manual selector and blow through it to ensure it is not clogged. Good time to lube it too. #2) disconnect the main fuel line from the sending unit and blow through it. #3) if both were clear, check the sending unit. It has a filter on the end that could be clogged. Now's a good time to replace it too. I just replaced both of mine and it is sooooo nice knowing how much gas I have.
If you find you have a clogged fuel line.....see above. good luck