• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Manual steering gear box servicing guidance

KeithKinPhx

Hi all.

Working on my 1968 LUBR with yes, manual steering. No slop. During my restoration the unit was unbolted and painted but then was set on a shelf (on its side) where fluid leaked out the top.

1. New seal for top? Kits no longer available from JBG. Do I have to fab my own?

2. Refill and seal. What fluid and how full do you go? I could not find a how to on servicing the unit in the forums. Sorry only manual steering unit I have ever owned in 30+ years of driving so no expertise in this area and don’t want to wreck it.

I have searched the forums and yes I know I can ship it out to Texas to be rebuilt for approx. $200 but that seems a bit extreme when it is not leaking out the shaft seals (yet). Also they want shipping both ways. Can buy a reman unit for $200 (see the trend in price point?) but they want me to ship mine as a core or pay another $100-200.

I just want to nurse it along for another couple of years before upgrading to power steering.

I promise to make a video of this on my YouTube channel so others will have that resource available to them in the future. See my videos at Rising Phoenix Bronco.

Thanks, Keith

Last edited: