• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Manual transmission conversion

Kmcclung

I have a 71 Bronco with a 302 and a c-4 auto, first question, is the c-4 from a 67 mustang the same c-4,
Second question, want does it take to install a ford 4 speed toploader from a 65 mustang, I have the 4 speed, is this a reasonable swap or should I look for something else?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Welcome
No a 67 mustang C4 is not the same as a bronco C4. They are close and most internal parts will interchange but the bellhousing pump and input shaft are different. But the bronco output shaft and adapter can be installed on the mustang tranny.
As for the toploader swap. all you need is a outputshaft kit from the venders or advance adapters and a stock 3 speed adapter housng. There is a little machine work required on the stock 3 sp adapter but nothing major.

Let me know if you want to get rid of the mustang toploader outputshaft and rear housing. I might even consider trading for the bronco toploader output shaft and adapter I have. But I have to think about it.