• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

manual transmission conversion

75_Bronco

Loc.
Arlington, Tx
hey guys, <br>i have a 75 bronco with the original 3 spd auto tranny, i was wondering if it is possible to convert it over to a manual transmission and if so how could i do it as cheaply as possible without cutting down on the quality. how hard is it to install a tranny your self?

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Converting it over was fairly straight forward after I spent a few weeks chasing down the stock clutch linkage. Then I had to find a pedal assembly which was pretty hard. Ask around here (Classicbroncos.com) if someone has a clutch pedal. Installing my 4 speed was fairly straight forward, there were a few mods (cutting floorboard for the shifter) and putting the clutch linkage in. My whole conversion start to finish took me about 4 days after I got home from school and work. Or in weekend terms it should take you a couple. Just make sure you have absolutely everything before you start taking things apart.

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
The best way to go about it is to get a catalog or go on the vendors website and get all the info you need. Places like Wildhorses, BC Bronco's, Jeff's Bronco Graveyard and Tom's Bronco can help you out a lot. And ask people on this site for anything you need help with.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
I am probably the only one on this sight with a Top Loader Overdrive tranny, and it was not too bad for me to install. If you are a competant mechanic it is possible Look in the advanced adaptors catalog to see what will fit the dana 20 without too many mods. The T/C OD was fairly close to stock size and is a Ford tranny so all the OEM clutch linkage will work. If you want real low gear grunt, this is not the tranny for you. Although its first gear is lower than stock 3 speeds (3.29:1) it does not compare to the NP435's 6.69:1. If you drive street a lot, the quick shifting and the Overdrive will really be cool.

peterinman

Loc.
East Jordan, MI
I've been resurching this for the last two days, and I picked up a 4 speed top loader this evening. I am on Jeff's Bronco graveyard right now checking out the adapters and shifting components that I need. His prices are a little high, but it will give you a good idea what you will need. I went with the top loader because it will be a little more fun to drive. Before I made up my mind, my brother-in-law had me shift his NP435 tranny and let me tell you.....it was like driving a tractor. I want to do my fair share of "off roading" but it wasn't worth the stiff shifting to me in my case.....In addition, in the first issue of BRONCO DRIVER magazine it runs down all the different standard transmission that you can run in your EB with the Pro's, Con's, and what it take to use it. It was extremely informative.

Broncowalt

You should go this weekend to the OK Classic Bronco Roundup. You will see and get all the info you<br>want on that subject. It's in Clayton. If you decide to do the conversion get a hold of Jim's Broncos.<br>He will have clutch pedals, linkage, flywheels (all used of course) adaptors and maybe a tranny<br>although I think they don't stay around too long. Email me if you want to contact him. He is about 5<br>miles east of the I20-635 Junction on I20 east of Dallas.

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
The absolute easiest way to do it is to bring a 12 pack of my favorite micro-brew (Laughing Lab) over to the house and we do it together. Barring that, take a look at the people locator and see if there's anyone in your area who's done it before.<br><br>It's a pretty easy conversion, as long as you have all the parts when you start. Total time involved is around 15-20 hours, depending on several factors like which exhaust is there, parts in place, air vs. manual tools, etc...<br><br>For a parts list:<br>1. NP435.<br>2. 435 to D20 adapter.<br>3. Correct bellhousing.<br>4. New clutch, pressure plate and T/O bearing.<br>5. Clutch pedal.<br>6. Clutch rod and Z-bar linkage.<br>7. Flywheel.<br>8. Flywheel bolts. <br>9. Pilot bushing .<br>10. Tranny to bellhousing bolts.<br>11. Gasket sealer/material.<br><br>Take a look at the mechanical books and see how it goes together.<br>Joe<br><br>

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
[quote author=Red Devil link=board=5;threadid=8985;start=0#64298 date=1031799984]In addition, in the first issue of BRONCO DRIVER magazine it runs down all the different standard transmission that you can run in your EB with the Pro's, Con's, and what it take to use it. It was extremely informative.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Thanks. :D <br><br>I plan on putting that article in the tech section, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll try to get it up soon, but if anyone needs the info in the next week or so just let me know.<br><br>FYI, the second part of that article (auto tranny options) will be in the Sept issue.

G

[quote author=75_Bronco link=board=5;threadid=8985;start=0#64147 date=1031772923]<br>hey guys, <br>i have a 75 bronco with the original 3 spd auto tranny, i was wondering if it is possible to convert it over to a manual transmission and if so how could i do it as cheaply as possible without cutting down on the quality. how hard is it to install a tranny your self?<br>[/quote]<br><br>Hey I am trying to convert my 3 speed manual to an auto...want to trade? Email me...Thanks...

G

don't know if the last post made don't see it...I am in Austin and have been looking for an auto to swap out my 3 speed manual...Want to trade? email me at oldmanlyman@aol.com either way...Cheers, Paul...