• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Melling Camshaft questions

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
I have been researching a cam for my Rig. Have heard good things about the Melling MTF-1 cam.

I want to know what type of idle you get with this cam?

Does it have an exhaust note?

Will it let me idle in granny gear with a manual tranny?

I'd like to have a well mannered rig on and offroad.;D

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Give me the intake & exhaust duration, lift @ .050, engine specs, gearing , transmission, weight etc and maybe someone can help you. Anyhting more then the Edelbrock Performer cam which is 204/214 and 287 lift is a pain in the as* off road for a near stock 302 in my opinion. It has a very slight lope and is mostly a torque cam. Another good cam is the Comp Cam Hi Energy 260. You need to talk to someone at Crane or any can company, give them all the info and let them tell you what you need spec wise. Dont guess!

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
I looked up the Melling specs. That should be good in a near stock, engine & geared Bronco with a 289 or 302. It shows I think 204/214 @ .050 with 442/478 lift I believe.

mitzel

Contributor
Loc.
Googleplex
> 204I/214E degrees @ .050, .448I/.472E inches lift at valve
> 107I/117E degress lobe centerline

yea that's a very popular grind and should work well. exactly
the same specs / knockoff of the ford motorsport A311 cam,
edelbrock performer, wolverine, summit... I've heard lots of
people recommend the summit cam as it's a couple bucks cheaper
than the other vendors. strong idle at 600-800rpm, very slight
exhaust note with free flowing exhaust, and revs well
to 5000-5500rpm.

I've got a bronco with the comp cams HE260H mtkawboy
mentioned. that works great too. also one of the newer
comp cams extreme energy cams at the small end of the lineup
may work well (e.g. XE250H, XE256H).

headers and decent flowing exhaust would also be a good
upgrade with the cam change.

Krusher

Loc.
Brookhaven, MS
I am running this cam with a .030 over 302, edelbrock performer intake and carb, headers and free-flowing exhaust. I also added Comp Cams 1.6 roller tip rockers. The specs mentioned above are correct, and the I/E lift numbers are Gross lift. I am very satisfied with the power of this set up all the way from idle (600 in gear) through 5200. You won't be disappointed.

OP
OP
BUCKETOBOLTS

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
That sounds like what I'm looking for. I have 35 inch tires and gearing 4.56. Its a stock 72 302 and I have a factory 4v intake and a holley 600 to go on when I change the cam. I just had new exhaust run last friday and she needs a little sound at idle. But I didn't want a saturday night special cam that wouldn't cooperate at low speeds.;D

ManTruck

Bronco Guru
I am running that cam in my 302. The grind is what I was looking for. The idle is smooth with excellent power thru the rpm band.

I am running 4:10 gears, 30 inch tires, and the stock 3 speed.

MATT76

I am very satisfied with the MTF-1 cam as well. Great for "better than stock" performance and power throughout the short rpm range. I'm running dual exhaust through Walker Quiet Flow mufflers. I really like the soft grumble in idle and the lower rpm's that this set up produces.