• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mini-Spool Durability 9"

u10072

Bronco Guru
Hello All,
I had a question asked to me today that I am hoping you all might be able to answer if you have had the experience. If you took a 4.10 geared 9" with a open diff and put a mini-spool in it what is the durability of it if you used the better center pin? I have no idea?? I know a steel spool is pretty much bombproof but as far as the the mini-spool I am hoping to find out for future reference. I am thinking 300hp, C4 auto and 35-37" tires if that matters.

Thanks,
Matt

Bronco717274

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tremont, Ms.
My brother has a stock 351w granny 4 speed 205 t-case 28-spline 9in. with mini spool. The mini spool has held up fine has twisted two different axles off right where the splines exit the spool. One of the ones in it know is twisted but not broken yet. The two front tires still have a little over half of the tread left. The two on the rear are drag slicks with knobs on the side of them. I told him this would happen if he drove on the street to much. If you are going to drive much on the street get a detroit or a selectable locker. Just my 02.

Amac70

ME
i ran one for years in my rig I like'd it alot better then the detriot i have now(which I hate). When i did finially break an axle it took out everything in carrier(mini spool carrier and the bearing on the broken side. ) I didn't notice any extra tire wear over the detriot that i have now. the 28 spline axles are going to be the weak point.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I've been running a mini spool with stock axles and 35's for about 7 years now. I am waiting for the 28 spline axles to go so I can upgrade to 31's. I'm still waiting. lol

For mostly a trail rig I really like the mini spool. I do drive it on the street and it chirps a lot but that doesn't bother me!