• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mounting Speakers

MDBronco

Well finally got around to getting a cdplayer for the Bronco!

The cdplayer will sit in the Tuffy center console.

Now, I am wondering where and how to mount the speakers?

As of right now, I only have a pair of 4.5" speakers from my old Ranger. I believe they are from Kenwood.

Wouldn't be opposed to getting a set of cheap 6x9's or something similar.

No rear inner quarters...

Post up some pictures of speaker mounts and ideas! Thanks!

-Sam

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Lots of pics and discussion in the archives. The best ideas I've seen in my opinion are
* building a box to mount the speakers under the rear seat
* building a box to mount the smaller speakers on top of the tunnel cover
* integrating the speakers somewhere beneath the dash (ive seen one post where someone put a plexiglass mount for the speakers under the dash)
* using wakeboard speakers and mounting them on the roll bar
* building a custom kick panel mount

All great ideas and lots of pics to show you how its done. Let us know what you decide - I'm still a few months away from speaker mounts but am already thinking about going the wakeboard route.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
With no inner quarters building a box or boxes would be the way to go.

Attachments

• left.jpg
    left.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 233
  • Right.jpg
    Right.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 156

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I made a simple little box to go under the dash and hold 2 6.5" speakers, works pretty well, no real bass but good sound that is directed at ya. I plan a better setup later but this has worked pretty well.

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
On mine there are holes for 5 1/2" speakers in the doors, bottom front just outside of the door panel area. PO said the dealer did it for him as part of an "audio upgrade" package. Don't know about that, but they work out pretty nicely; the wiring for these, the auto door locks, & courtesy light are nicely run through wiring loom & (2) 3/8" holes in the hinge panel & door. Even have quick disconnects so I can take the doors off. I did replace the speakers he had in there and added some "splash" guards to keep any water away from them. Aside from that I've got 2 6x9" speakers mounted in homemade panels in the bed. Eventually I'm going to build a box for under the rear seat, but for now it sounds pretty good.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Tuffy. Get their speaker boxes, and never look back.

Your junk won't get hauled off, and they're weather resistant. I'm a believer in their products, I've had the console in my rig for nearly 10 years.

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/speaker/065.html This would be easy enough to mount on the hump under the dash. Make a simple bracket and you're good.

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/speaker/019.html - these will do perfectly for some 6x9's.

Your CD player will probably skip, be prepared for this. It's operating outside of it's effective shock dampening angle. If you're plugging in an XM or iPod, you're golden.

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bought a cheapy 6x9 box at best buy that fits tight between the stock rear seat arm rest and the tub. About 30.00 if I remember for the pair.

NMBronco77

Loc.
White Rock
I agree completely with Gummi Bear. I am running 1600 watts of sound in my rig. Two 800 watt Kenwood power amps mounted under the back seat. 2 subs mounted behind the back seat, facing forward, hooked to one amp. 2 6x9 speakers mounted in tuffy boxes mounted to the front of the inner rear fender well, and a set of four inch component speakers mouonted in the front lower section of the doorshooked to the other amp. CD mounted in the Tuffy console. I have had no trouble at all, not even skipping.
You can mount the 6x9 boxes using bolts and those kind of nuts with the nylon inserts. Put the nuts on the inside of the speaker boxes and even if someone tries to take the boxes by taking the bolts out, the nuts will just spin inside the boxes no matter how much you turn the bolts. The boxes themselves are set up with tamper resistant screws that require a special tool to remove. NOTHING is theft proof, but this system is as close as it comes.
The idea of this system was to be able to hear good music over the sound of header/Flowmaster exhaust and road noise. Turns out it works, but it will also make your ears bleed if you're not careful!!
ZZ Top and Stevie Ray sound great through this system.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
airman said:
I bought a cheapy 6x9 box at best buy that fits tight between the stock rear seat arm rest and the tub. About 30.00 if I remember for the pair.

This is what I've got now, been in there for years. ;D

The Tuffy boxes is what I've had my eye on for quite a while now though.

DU 001

Loc.
Houston, Texas
Great info, thanks fellas.

Have not gotten to tunes just yet, but they are in the plans. Have some serious equipment from last Suburban that won't make it into the new one.

2 Alpine V12 Amps, 8 MB Quart speakers, and JBL 12" sub.

Should rock your socks off.

This info will come in handy.

For security, Vehicle Is Protected By Smith & Wesson Alarm System.

Regards,

DU 001

welndmn

Bronco Guru
mmm Wakeboard speakers.
Up high, water proof, can't beat them if you don't own a top, or beat on your junk
speakers.jpg

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
If you wheel your Bronco hard, any speakers mounted below the seat bottoms will get ruined so why risk it? I built custom mounts for a pair of 6" speakers in the corners of the front cage hoop (top corners of the windshield). No head interferance for safety, weatherproof (unless upside down). :)