• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mounting subwoofers in jerry can idea

SickWhips

Contributor
I have 2 old military jerry cans laying around and have been trying to find a way to tie them in with the bronco.. was thinking I could mount a 10" sub in each of them and mount an amp under the back seat. Has anyone tried this before? Or would it be a waste of my time. Thanks!

carmi

Loc.
Oroville
I would say that the thin gauge metal won't be strong enough to make any decent sound. Most boxes are made of 3/4" mdf so there will be little or no flex, thus resulting in a clean sound. I think you will lose most of the punch from the flex in the can. Not to mention you probably don't have enough volume in the jerry can to make the speakers properly work.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
You would need to use $100 bucks in Dyna Mat on the inside of them to reduce the sheet metal resonance.

Chip Foose did the Jerry can speaker thing on that first Overhaulin' eb.

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
^^What he said.Either dynomat or glass the inside and brace it up and it should work ok.I say go for it and report back.I have one I want to do the same thing with one day.Don't expect perfect sound but it should sound decent.

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
Bad idea.... They would sound terrible, and even if they are glassed, they would eventually separate and vibrate like crazy. Do you have a hard top? if not, you will get very little benefit from a subwoofer. As soon as you start to move, all the bass will disappear.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
If you are dead set on running a sub, a properly designed box that is the correct volume called for by the manufacturer is the only way to go. I think the effort you'd put into properly dampening that thin sheet metal would produce less than ideal results. It would look cool but probably not sound great.
A friend of mine found a small enclosure 10" sub and built a box for under his passenger seat. It sounds great and really fills in the lows for rock and country music. Its not a thumping sub by any means but it does the job well. If you can hide it somewhere like that it won't be in the way and you won't miss the lost space. I like to "hide" my speakers as I've never put a top on my rig and don't like the extra attention that super obvious stereo gear can attract.