• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

msd distributor /6al install

monkeylovetrees

Loc.
warwick ri
just wondering if anybody has installed this setup and what is involed in doing it doing some up grades and got a msd distributor blaster coil 6al box just looking for advice on install and anything to look out for

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you have the distributor that is NOT a ready to run distributor it will have a 2 prong plug that connects it with the ignition box(6al). Make sure you run that wire away from any other 12 volt sources. I had all sorts of issues until I resolved that. Other than the ignition box going out a few years ago mine has run fine. Been using it since 2005.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Follow the directions they are pretty straightforward. Run the wires directly to the battery like they say for the power leads. Mount the box where it gets cool air if possible. Mine is on the passenger fender but I think it could use more air. If you have an electronic tach you can pick up the signal from the side of the box. If you have a Ford tach you may need a tach adapter.

I like to bring the engine up to TDC on the firing stroke (timing mark at 0 degrees and the rotor is pointing to the number 1 cylinder) before removing. Then watch as you take the old distributor out the rotor will rotate. When you put the new one in position the rotor the same way so when you drop the distributor down rotates a bit but points to number one again and oil pump driveshaft aligns.

Once you pull the distributor do not crank the engine for any reason.

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
I've had two 4x4 box failures. I had one blaster coil go out instantly. I was a strong supporter of MSD but after 3 failures that ruined 3 days for me, I have removed any thing MSD from 3 trucks and 2 boats. Just my 2 cents, well actually about $1,200 in tows, and parts. It's not if it will break, it's just when.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Also be sure the coil has 12v not the 9v you get with the resistor wire. It will run poorly and overheat the coil.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
be sure to save the MSD 800 Help Desk phone number and keep it in your glovebox so they can send you replacement boxes when yours craters. ask me how I know. then after 3-4 replacements go get a Duraspark.

ahansen_1985

Bronco Guru
Loc.
amity, oregon
I've had good luck with the msd's, but make sure your charging system is good, do not run them at low voltage... Will run but will eat coils... Carry a spare coil at all times, and do not get hit by the spark...

1966 bronco, almost nothing factory