• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

MSD Ignition box mounting

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm sure a few responses will be the trash can...and I used to feel the same way. I had problems until I spaced it up to where air could circulate under it, never had a problem since going on 10 years.

My question is whether anyone has mounted under the dash against the firewall? Doing some cleanup under the hood and would like to get it off the inner fender. It gets hot under the hood but you also have air flowing from the fan, which it wouldn't have under or behind the dash. Thoughts?

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've read some threads about this over the years but can't seem to locate any more than this one at the moment. I thought about locating it inside the cab, but this thread indicates it makes noise. While I really don't want to put it under the hood, I'll be mounting mine where the regulator went. I've seen some mounted on the apron. My understanding is air-flow is important to keep the heat down so where the regulator is has air flow and it's in front of the headers.

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306584

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
2 rigs running them inside the cab on the tunnel as it slopes up. Never noticed them making any noise but the Broncos are loud so I don't think I would notice. I also run the coil there too. Mitch's is on the passenger wheel well with the spacers for air flow in the "normal" location.

Jim

mustanggarage

Contributor
I mounted mine on the inner fender. It is an msd digital off-road version and the led tachometer is very useful for tuning and setting the idle and iac for my sniper system.

Attachments

• B9CC896.jpg
    B9CC896.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

SP73

I had one in my heep mounted to the firewall behind the dash for over a decade with no issues whatsoever.

snipes243

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntersville, NC
67883610be0944a8a7bbba1b41254a2c.jpg

Sorry this is the best picture I have. But I mounted mine in the hole between the fender well and fire wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
I mounted mine to the bottom of the cowl on the sloped part and wired a switched micro fan for airflow. Never had any issues even when I forget to turn the fan on.

69_Sport

Not in a Bronco, but...

I mounted one on the firewall, using rubber insulated bolts that spaced it up off the sheet metal a bit, and never had any issues. Can't comment on the noises, though, as the side pipes on my Cobra likely drowned out any noises...

OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
67883610be0944a8a7bbba1b41254a2c.jpg

Sorry this is the best picture I have. But I mounted mine in the hole between the fender well and fire wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like you have mounted at an angle. This would be a good spot for me. If you had any other pics would be great but I think I see what you did.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
its been in the same place since i got the rig in 05...

Attachments

• DSC00410.JPG
    DSC00410.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 18