• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mufflers??? Best Sounding and Performance??

hntr006

What is the best sounding Mufflers to put on my bronco......exhaust is coming soon! I was looking at 2.5 " Flowmaster original 40 series...or the 3" Super 40 series? What do you think?

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Got dual, original 40's on mine and couldn't be happier. Deep, throaty, aggressive when you want them to be and very tolerable (even without top) when your just cruzin.

Delta4WheelDrive

Loc.
Bakersfield
A search will get you a ton of info...but...

I have been through the mill with exhaust systems and they have always been to raspy and loud like a rice burner on deceleration. I am sure it is my higher HP that is a contributor.

Here is my history. GT-40P EFI ~300+- HP, L&L long tubes with an H-Pipe

1. Super turbos from kragen with 2.5" duals. Crappy sound for my taste.
2. 3" single Flowtech terminator muffler with 3" single tail pipe. WAY too load and a super raspy sound with a full throttle.
3. Single 2.5" borla. Hated this even more. Sounded like a freeking butt hole running down the road.
4. Dual 2.5" flowmaster delta series SUV mufflers. I thought that the larger muffler would quiet it down. WRONG. Talk about resination at highway speed...geez!
5. I traded the SUV's for 40 series delta flows. These were so freeking loud as well. So I installed 12" glass packs (resinators) before the mufflers and was extatic with the result. It has a super low rumble at idle and a bad ass sound under throttle.

Keep in mind that I owned a shop at the time and had the resources to feed this madness.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If your going dual exhaust I'd go 2.125 mufflers maybe 2.5 if running a H pipe and your engine is putting out 300hp or more. If your going Single 2.5 muffler. I've run both 2.125 and 2.5 duals and noticed a small drop in lowend although I'm not running a H pipe either

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i have a 2" Y pipe coming out of my doug thorleys, going into a single 3", into a 40 series flowmaster, out dual 2.25's, and out 2.5" gibson stainless tips.

i get a lot of comments on the way it sounds, very clean crisp and throaty. it's amazing the sound you get running duals out of a single muffler!

Broncoholics

Loc.
Windsor, CO
I run a single 3" exhaust with a Magnaflow. I hated the dual Flowmasters that it replaced.

The Magnaflow sounds killer when you're in the pedal and at idle. But at cruising speed (75mph for me) it quiets down and isn't too loud or annoying.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Dual 2.5 inch aluminized pipe, 50 series SS Flowmasters behind JBG L&L Ultraflow headers. Sounds great. Very tolerable at idle, cruising but gain mullet-ude when you get on the gas. Good luck with your choice.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I run dual 2 1/4" MagnaFlows which work out very well. 2" probably would have helped my torque a little more but I plan to Stroke the motor so it will use the 2 1/4". For the exhaust size keep in mind that the small block Ford normally does better with the 2" - 2 1/4" range than the larger because of the way the back pressure effects it. I.E. Without enough back pressure the engine will loose power. For the muffler itself see if you can find someone running the muffler you are looking at so you can hear it. I personally like the MagnaFlows because they are quiet when cruising around but open up when you get on it.

Broncoholics

Loc.
Windsor, CO
SaddleUp said:
I run dual 2 1/4" MagnaFlows which work out very well. 2" probably would have helped my torque a little more but I plan to Stroke the motor so it will use the 2 1/4". For the exhaust size keep in mind that the small block Ford normally does better with the 2" - 2 1/4" range than the larger because of the way the back pressure effects it. I.E. Without enough back pressure the engine will loose power. For the muffler itself see if you can find someone running the muffler you are looking at so you can hear it. I personally like the MagnaFlows because they are quiet when cruising around but open up when you get on it.

Very true info when running dual exhaust. You can go a little larger when running a single exhaust though.

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
this is all subjective... find one you like.. and copy it... or roll the dice that you will like the same thing as someone else.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
I got a new exhaust system on my rig just last week, and I've never been happier...

It's the stock manifolds, and 2-1/4" alumized tubing (nothing fancy or flashy) into a simple 2-into-1 cylinder shaped turbo muffler with a single 2-1/4" out dumping right behind the passenger rear wheel. Most of the system is up above the frame rails. It's quiet, at all speeds. I used to daily drive my rig, a 'cool' sounding exhaust sure wore me slick after 100 miles or more per day for a few years. It's got an ever so slight rumble at idle, and a little bit of growl at speed, but you can't hear it with the windows rolled up and radio playing. ;D

I sold off my headers and duals for this...

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Broncoholics said:
Very true info when running dual exhaust. You can go a little larger when running a single exhaust though.
Yes. The 2" - 2 1/4" applies to dual rather than single. Single needs to be larger than this to provide the same result. Guessing off the top of my head I would think in the range of 2 3/4" - 3" would give approx. the same using a single exhaust.

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
MsMyMny said:
Open Headers is by far the BEST exhaust system there is...OR 2.5 diameter dual exhaust with Dynomax flow through mufflers.

Scott
www.americanbronco.com
You would think this was true. But I was just discussing this with a couple of promod racers turned outlaw street racers this weekend. The big thing they were concerned about was going from open headers to having an muffler (not real like ours). Most of them were surprised to find they picked up HP by putting mufflers on. Not much, one guy was like 15hp, but when you consider he started out with 3000, it isn't a big jump.

HNTR006,
There is also a fairly new company called DNA (Direct Natural Airflow). I have seen some of there stuff and it looks pretty good. So far the guys I know using it like alot as well.
If you check their stuff out and it looks usable, I can get a friend of mine to formal introduce me to the owner. Kind of a friend of a friend. I might be able to talk him into a discount for the board.

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
That would be cool Ray. I checked out their site and they look pretty good, just wish they had a sound demonstration like some of their competitors. You might mention this to them when you meet.

http://www.tunedproducts.com/DNA/main_DNA.html

I have been very happy with my old school glass packs and have grown to love their sound over the years. Some of these modern day mufflers sound unnatural and strange to me as technology marches on and I get older.