• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My Bronco Leans

ELizabeth Peden

My Bronco is currently undergoing a safety restoration. We have installed new shackles to the rear leaf springs, new shocks, both axles were removed, painted and re-installed with the same bushings, now the Bronco leans to the driver's side. It is leaning at both the front and rear. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to look at first. :-[

kwspony

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Roseville
there is an article on Wild Horses web site about the dreaded "bronco lean" Read it and then read it again. When the C bushings are installed they have to be installed evenly or you will get the lean.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Welcome to CB.com, but you have asked a question that gets asked OVER AND OVER. I say this so you understand why there won't be people jumping all over the answer. Try using the search as there are well over 100 threads directly related to this.

Here's a good one

http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56933&highlight=bronco+lean

Also click on the tech. links on the left of the page and you will see quite a few fixes.

70_Steve

Old Guy
That article on The Bronco Lean has been posted on lots of web sites. Here's a version on the BroncoFix.com board. http://www.broncofix.com/about261578.html

The deal is, if you remove the radius arms from the front differential, as you would if you were replacing the c-bushings, you have to insure that the radius arms wind up exactly parallel. If not, the radius arms and front differential act like a big torsion bar and torque the suspension to one side.

To check to see if this is the problem, or to fix, remove the front differential and radius arms as an assy. Sit the front differential on some jack stands, and lower the radius arms. If they're parallel, the ends will touch the floor at the same time. If not, remove one radius arm at a time and retighten the cap. Lubricating the c-bushings with something (wheel bearing grease, dish soap, KY, etc) seems to help the bushings seat correctly.

Sabas

Elizabeth
Welcome aboard. I have been helped many times on this board.
Sabas ;D