• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My Buddy and I are putting in New headers on his 71..we need help!!!

71BroncoBoy

Loc.
Tallahassee, FL
He got some aftermarket headers for his bronco, we got the old manifolds/headers off and now were trying to get the new one in there...what do we have to disconnect or take off to get this done...

We are trying to get them in there and so far alot of stuff is in the way, what is the easisest way to get these headers in there??? What should we do, theres a car shopw this weekend and we need the bronco runnin'!

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
The driver's side is a piece of cake. Just slide it in. The passenger side is a little tougher. I removed the dip stick (cover the hole) and slid the new header up from the bottom. It was easier for me this way. I had Heddman long tube headers up until a few months ago. I'm back to manifolds, and hapier than ever.

Get new bolts, and some really good gaskets. Re-doing it in a few months because of a leak isn't much fun.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
kinda need more info; power or manual brakes? clutch? lift?

right side is a little difficult to get in. not much room, but needs o come in fron the bottom. left side depends on what all is in there. i had to removbe the clutch linkage and front drive shaft, but i have power brakes. if you have manual brakes, it might drop right in from the top.

what kind of headers are you installing?

70_Steve

Old Guy
71BroncoBoy said:
We are trying to get them in there and so far alot of stuff is in the way, what is the easisest way to get these headers in there???
Take off the stuff that's in the way, install the headers, replace the stuff that was in the way...

Most manufacturers headers are bent differently. Also a big different between auto and manual transmission, etc. I have a 70 with manual transmission. Passenger side I had to remove the starter and dipstick. Put the headers in from underneath. Driver's side I had to remove the clutch linkage, loosen up the motor mount and jack the engine over just a little to fit them in from underneath.

OP
OP

71BroncoBoy

Loc.
Tallahassee, FL
he has a stock 71 uncut no lift still has the stock tires and hubs on it, drums all around and manual...the headers are a pair he got off ebay that were for a bronco...Thanks for the help guys, we so far disconnected the clutch linkage and now were loosening the engine mount and jacking it uo to gain the clearance....thanks for the quick replies, it really helped alot, ill post some pics of the progress later..